Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Cough with excessive mucous

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Cough with excessive mucous

I lost my voice 4 months ago after having a dry hacky cough for 2. There is excessive clear slimy, salty mucous that comes up.I have smoked for 35 yrs. My dr says it's allergies, one ENT says it's silent acid reflux. Treatment in either case has not relieved the cough or mucous production. I'm diabetic but the ENT Rx'd massive doses of prednisone and acid med. My dr tried me on a decongestant, but my bp went high. The only relief seems to come from a cough syrup that contains codiene. I see another ENT in a couple of weeks for a 3rd opinion. What I've had sinus problems for 45 years, history of DVT's, stress incontenience, and type2 diabetes. I'm at my wit's end. OTC meds have not eased the problem either, nor has common sense home remedies. I am hooked on cigarettes, 2 pks now, down from 3. If it's not acid reflux and not sinus infection, what is this?
It is obviously a very frustrating problem for you.  I am sure that your cigarette smoking will be a major trigger, no matter what the ultimate cause.  Having a CT scan of the sinuses will help identify if this is due to your sinuses.  Chest x-rays and lung function tests are also probably indicated to see what is happening in your lungs.  It is possible that the acid reflux is also a problem in addition to these others ones.  However, whatever the primary event, the smoking is most likely what is causing the inflammation to continue.  Working on smoking cessation should be a major priority.  You may want to look at our giving up smoking information at http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/wellness/smoking/index.aspx for ways to help you quit smoking.  Also check with your doctor for other quit smoking resources in your area.
Springrain,

Stop kidding yourself, give up the smokes, today!

Chronic Cough and Sputum Production sounds like Chronic Bronchitis to me. I would say you might possibly have those other things if you didnt smoke 60 a day for 35 years. Get a PFT and a HR CT. Then ask for Spiriva to see if this helps the cough and mucus production.

All is not lost, give up now and you will see an improvment, it may take two years!

Eros.
By the way when I was diagnosed with Chronic Bronchitis I lost my voice too, they go hand in hand!

Eros.
All I needed to hear was..."I have smoked for 35 yrs."
Right there in a nut shell is all
Obviously, you are killing yourself with ciggarettes.
I find it so funny that smokers dissociate the fact that
they SMOKE, with when they develop problems that are without a
shadow of a doubt DUE TO SMOKING. OPEN YOUR EYES SWEETIE.
My mom is DYING a slow, nasty, painful death as we speak.
SHE WAS A 40 yr. SMOKER DEAR.  No doubt about it, hers and your problems all point back to that powerful little smoldering stick of tabacco.
There is no medical mystery here, dear.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know why you are sick.
I have the same problem, and I smoke. It started about a year ago after having a major bout with an upper respitory infection, which I've never had before & a fever which I've never had at least as an adult & with that magnitude.I'm tired of hearing people just up and assume all of a sudden once they hear I smoke that I have some allergy to tobacco. If that was the case I would have been allergic to it when I was 17 when I started smoking not just suddenly @ 35! Excessive mucous draining is in a way your body saying it's receiving something it either doesn't like or you have something coursing through your system that is still there even though you thought you got rid of it, like a virus or yeast build up or something of that nature. So yes your body could be saying it doesn't like the nicotine or tobacco but shouldn't have your body said that when you started?? Yes, I know that Cancer, emphysema can spring up on you when it's too late sometime, but I don't believe excessive mucous is in that category. The biggest problem is there hasn't been much focus on this problem & doctors are just reaching into the ol' handbag full of 30yr old remedies that don't work anymore when they should be paying a little more attention @ their so called "conferences" in Hawaii or Aspen.
I have been on antibiotics for 10 days. I have taken also Robitussin DM and I have a clear to white mucous that keeps coughing up from my longs. I took the antibiotics and about 5 days ago I stopped seeing green mucous. Can someone advise me how long it will take for this cough to go away or if there is anything I can do to help it along and dry it up now that the infection is gone?

A frustrating problem I have had my whole life is I get a cold and then I cough for weeks on end. I am not a smoker and generally in good health. I have mucous stuck in my throat that I can't get up, so I cough all the time. My husband can do some throat action and has no problem getting phlem up. He has even tried to teach me how, to no avail. Sometimes I cough so hard and long that I end up throwing up the mucous, which does give me some relief for a period of time. Can anyone help with intructions on how to get it up, without throwing up. Also, is there some natural way to minimize the mucous. Sorry this subject is kind of gross, but I am hoping to find help. Thanks!
hi. I am dealing with the same problems, and I have never smoked (except for secretly lighting one of mum's stub end and trying it when i was 3 - put me off for life. Now she has lung cancer but that's another story).

I get lots of gel like clear mucous. I think it comes from my sinus. If I don't suck it and spit it out I end up coughing it up. Sometimes it's very bubbly and foamy, usually gelatinous and slippery. I think allergies are a problem - after trying lots of different antihistamines I found good old Fenergan works well for me. I take a child's does and it seems to control it. I think it's controlling a mild reaction to pollen (it's spring down here in the southern hemishpere). But there are other things contributing I'm sure - even when it rains for days and there should be minimal pollen I get problems in the house - generally when the dishwasher or washing machine are on. There must be something in the detergents.

i also find when I get an attack of the gelly mucus that I get a tight throat - around the adams's apple. The tissues out the outside feel sore - I think it might be from trying to clear the mucus too much at the time - my toungue and mouth feel strangem, sort of numb,  which I think is the muscles getting fatiguied from the sucking and spitting. It's not much fun.

I'm sort of getting by with antihistamine and avoidance, but it's a royal pain in the butt.
i find oranges and chocolate bring on the mucus - I guess because of sugar content. whitebread does a bit too but grainy bread isn't so bad. I'm guessing that's to do with the availability of simple carbohydrates. Why I don't know though.
A related discussion, how do I stop thick clear mucous production was started.
A related discussion, smoking and asthma was started.
A related discussion, smoking and allergies was started.