Respiratory Disorders Community
Cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Cough

I have what is discussed below also. How long does it last?  I have been sick for 7 days now and coughing painfully for 5 days.  I have been using using cefzil and phenavent for 3 days now, but it doesn't seem to be helping.  The cough is very painful and the phlem feel "stuck". How long does this last???  

"Are their any indicators if an infection is bacterial?  I began feeling ill 5 days ago.  Started with the "chills" (I wasn't sure if I was sick or not--because I was staying in a hotel room that was COLD!") The next day, I had the chills and a sore throat (no congestion). The third day, some nasal congestion, cough, sore throat, sometimes phlem.  Fourth day, nasal congestion, body aches (possibly from the coughing), occasional sneezing, more phlem (light to dark yellow) -- and hard to cough up, fever of 100.4.  Fifth day, I am still congested, feel like the phlem is just building in my chest and can't get it out. NO fever, however I am on cold medicine--I have tried several over-the-counters.  In the past when I've gone to the doctor, many times they say it is viral and there is nothing they can prescribe.  How should one determine if they should go in or not?  Also, is there anything I can do at home to try to break up some of the congestion in my chest?  Thank You!"