Respiratory Disorders Community
Coughing Mucous

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Coughing Mucous

As many others, I have been coughing mucous for about 3 months. Have gone to the doctor and was given antibiotics for sinus infections and flonase. Still coughing. Doctor says it is GERD, gives me reflux medicine, still coughing. Amazingly enough, I sleep through the night; but, it's horrible in the morning.

Opposite of others, the more I drink the more it seems to contribute to the problem. I took many OTC meds for allergies and even take allergy shots. Sometimes, Allegra helps. Sometimes, sodas aggravate the issue making you think it's an acidic issue; but, sometimes, I start hacking for no reason at all.

The only thing I can figure is that something in the environment: air freshener, perfume, deodorant, cologne, lotion from co-workers aggravate the allergies. My husband's deodorant/body wash aggravates the allergies.

I've tried using UV air filters to filter the air even. Nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?

I had 2 endoscopies and both times, the doctors said you have reflux; even though I have very little symptoms of reflux.

Also I do not smoke. They tell me I have asthma; but, neither Advair nor Albuterol inhalers work.

In the past Advair or a nebulizer treatment would fix this; but, this year it just seems unbearable.

This discussion is related to Chronic cough with mucus.
I used to have the same problem for years. But I finally went to a doctor that diagnosed MY problem.  I am lactose intolerant and anyone reading this post may be too. I didn't think that I was because I don't experience bloating or discomfort when I eat dairy, but I do get the mucus /phlegm in my throat and I was constantly coughing up stuff -worse at night.  Apparently as we age, many of us lose the enzyme that breaks this stuff down. Try this.  Go to the drug store - Buy some lactaid.  Take it anytime you eat something remotely dairy.  You'll find there is more dairy in foods than you realize.  OR take it whenever you feel the sensation in your throat. Also, it helps if you cut out cheese, ice cream, milk altogether.  I have switched to Lactaid Milk.  Also, for me, it helps if I cut down on all sugars - not just lactose. FULL DISCLOSURE: I am not a doctor do go see yours. Happy sleeping.