Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Coughing Up Blood

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Coughing Up Blood

About 2 weeks ago I picked up a common cold from my husband, just a couple of days ago, I've noticed that in the mornings when I wake up, I've been coughing up blood. It doesn't last all day, it's only immediately after waking and I start coughing. The rest of the day my phlegm is clear with maybe a tiny speck of blood occasionally. I feel an irritation and fullness in my throat, although my chest feels clear, and there is wheezing (in my throat). I've told my husband that if the bleeding continues until Monday, then I'll go to the doctor. My question is, what could be causing this bleeding?? BTW, I do suffer from Asthma, Post-Nasal Drip and GERD.
The most likely cause of your bleeding is sinusitis.  This is an inflammation and irritation of the mucous membranes that line the sinuses.  This can drain down the back of your throat and collect.  You cough this up early in the morning and then it
It's POSSIBLE is from several different reasons.  Your course of action in waiting until Monday sounds reasonsble, since it is only a tiny speck of blood.
The simplest explanation is that your nose is likely inflamed from the cold & having been blown so frequently in connection with your illness.  You may have a raw spot somewhere in one of your nostrils that is slowly bleeding and since our mouth and nose are connected, it can show up as a spot of blood in your mucous.
Take care & drink lots of fluids.  As you're planning, contact your doc on Monday if it hasn't subsided, to get his/her take on the situation.
Aloha,
Starion
Coughing up blood is called hemoptysis. It can be serious or benign. See your doctor soon; you will probably get a chest x-ray and blood tests. Let us know what is found. See:

http://www.pulmonologychannel.com/hemoptysis/ Hemoptysis

Ellis  ***@****
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the support. I did go to my doctor yesterday and as the nurse has stated the blood was coming from my sinuses. She gave me a prescription and a flu/pneumonia shot. I was thinking maybe it wasn't anything serious, since I've been suffering from various sinus problems since I was a young child. Besides, I stopped coughing up blood that weekend and started feeling much better. I still have some post-nasal drip and a productive cough, which I'm sure will clear up in time. Also, I'll make sure to check out the info about the nasal wash, I'm sure that I could benefit from that.  Thanks again for the help.