Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Coughing and Phlegm

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Coughing and Phlegm

I have a question regarding the state of my lungs.
I smoked for about 2 and a half years, in the past year quite a lot, about a pack a day. 2 weeks ago I decided to quit when I noticed that I was getting winded going up a flight of stairs and for a 20 year old male this wasn't a good sign.

Now my question. I've been expelling a white frothy substance from my lungs quite constantly from day one since I quit. However, today i'am coughing up something else. Its encased in the phlegm very small pebble like balls that are dark in color. A lot of it seems to be coming up.

Is this a sign of COPD or something worse? And or is this normal for a person who has quit smoking, if so, when should I go get this checked out if it doesnt stop within the next 2-3 weeks?

Your description suggests that you began to raise white froth and then the '...small pebble like balls that are dark...' only after you quit smoking.  What you describe is common after smoking cessation and not a sign of COPD or something worse.  Coughing-up this stuff should begin to subside in about a month and stop in 2 to 4 months.  If it does not, you should see your doctor and have a chest x-ray.  It is likely that this will not be necessary.

Your lungs are cleansing themselves of tar and other tobacco products.