Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Coughing and losing breath

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Coughing and losing breath

I have a situation that is starting to concern me.  It started a couple of years ago; but has become more and more frequent recently.  Usually, it happens during the night or first thing in the morning (when I first wake up).  I feel a sort of "tickle" in my throat and the impulse is to cough.  However, I have learned that if I cough, I completely lose my breath - then I spend the next several seconds (seems like minutes) gasping and trying to catch my breath.  Once I catch my breath, everything is fine.  The first time this happened (a couple of years ago), I just passed it off as that I had probably gotten "choked" on saliva or something during my sleep.  It didn't happen again for a long time.  Eventually though, it did happen again -- and again -- and again.  It has started to happen more frequently now (at least once a week or so).  I have learned to recognize that "tickle" and to try to NOT cough.  If I sit up and swallow real big a couple of times, I can usually relieve the tickle without coughing (and thus losing my breath).  The problem is, of course, when I am asleep, or just woke up, I don't always have enough wits about me to remember to do that before the natural impulse to cough takes over.  Have you ever heard of this before?  Is it something serious?  By the way, I am a 42 year old male -- and I as I stated before, this started about 2 years ago.  Thanks.
One possible source of the
That sounds exactly like me. Doctors said all kinds of stuff without even knowing or listening to me or my symptoms at the emergency room. So far I have heard an inflamated trachea, whooping cough, throat infection... but I could tell they did not take it seriously. Take a Prednizone for three days and once they prescribed antibiotics for 7 days.

Jeb... when you say you lose your breath, is it as if your windpipe just closes without letting in any air? Thats what it does to me. Scarry as hell.... feels like minutes. Not one ounce of air and then bang! it opens back up but with a somewhat restrictive feeling. Happens at night and even a few times outside in the cold when I coughed real hard or sneezed. Have been sleeping sitting up for a month and a half....scared to cough...hehehe...

Any responses elsewhere? So far besides what is mentioned above I have read a bit on post nasal drip or apnea.

A related discussion, Happens when I laugh was started.
A related discussion, loosing breath when  coughing or vomiting. was started.
A related discussion, Losing my breath when I cough. was started.