Respiratory Disorders Community
Coughing fits accompanied by itchy chin and back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Hello, for the last 5 years I've suffered coughing fits, sometimes accompanied by heartburn. I'veseenn umpteen doctors who have just given every asthma inhaler under the sun until  I finally recently saw a doctor who thought it might be a good idea to check if I hd a stomach disorder adn she suspected I have allergies. She has arranged for  me to see an allergy speciailist but the wait is 4 months adn therefore I haven been yet. I really do not think I have asthma as I can dance for two hours at the gym without a wheeze in sight.

In the meantime, I seem to be having these weird coughing fits in the evening and first thing in the morning. My chin gets really itchy, then my back near the top of my neck and then I cough like a mad person and cough out liquidy white phlegm, I feel wheezy and have actually had to start using the inhalers which dodctos kept fobbing me off with in the past.

It is driving me insane, not feeling well and I am terrified that these fits will happen when I'm out in public. I am at my wits end and wold appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you
Tags: chin, Coughing
I am having the same symptons for a year.... It is driving me crazy.... My doctor suggested NASONEX... which helps sometimes.... They have suggested an allergy specialist...

If you come across a solution, please post...

THANKS & good luck..
i have had thesame issue of cough with itching of chin, inside my chest and inside my back too. i have had this problem for about 9 years now, it comes and goes. the cough is really severe and inconveniencing, it lasts for over one hour. i am curious as to what is wrong with me. any useful info will be highly appreciated.
I have been having the exact same symptoms for about 15 years now. The cough comes in the mornings, but mostly at night and is severe. Friends and family get scared and beg to take me to the hospital. Tons of fluid or phlegm comes up and my neck, chin, and back get so itchy i sometimes scratch ti'll it bleeds. It happens during the coughing so it's almost from panic mode. I've done tons of tests and they always come back as normal. Recently my lungs or chest have been hurting. I'm not sure what it is but it's towards the back and feels like how your lungs feel after walking outside in the deep winter cold and breathing deep. The pain lasts for hours and the cough is coming during the day now.

Laughing is another trigger for my cough.

Does anyone have any answers? I'm at a loss. I've seen so many doctors and dont know where to go, and it feels worse now.
I have symptoms like these, but my problem is Acid Reflux. I never feel any heartburn at all, but it turns out certain foods that I have eaten my whole life are now triggers. Dairy is the worst. I eat something with dairy, the acid reflux starts and I cough like a mad woman. And my chin itches like crazy...sometimes it's hard to breathe.
If I avoid the food triggers, I don't cough.
After 2 years of tests, it turned out my problem was just certain foods triggering acid reflux.
I have a theory on this one, and i dont meen to be rude by asking this, but could all who have this problem please post how much they wiegh in stones please.

Thanks in advance

Jess
Hi there, have any of you been checked as to whether you have coeliacs disease?  I know it sounds daft but I went undiagnosed for  years during which time I have awful sporadic itches, caught almost every cold and cough under the sun, had sporadic reflux and woke almost every day like an elephant had sat on me during the night...7 years after being diagnosed I have had one proper cold, wake up without any discomfort and coughs or colds, only have reflux if I am a glutton and only have itches if I eat some gluten by accident...Get your doctor to at least check it!