Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Coughing for 5 months

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Coughing for 5 months
I am a 21 yr old male. One day when working I had an out of focus feeling and felt when looking at my hand that it wasn't mine. This is described as a focus and disorientation type feeling. I had tests run and I was told it was sinusitis. Then came the chest pains, which I was later diagnosed with MVP.
Symptoms summary
1)Cough lasting over 5 months( started at night, now is all the time.
2)Sweating easily
3)Loss of concentration and fatigue
4)coughing til I vomit.
The problem i am facing now is a bad cough. (Dec 06)
This cough was only at night but due to smoking which i quit, it became a daily thing happening both in the AM and PM.
It seems the cough goes away slightly when taking claratin but definitely comes back when i drink or eat phlegm producing foods. Due to my asthma/lack of allergy shots in two years I thought this is post nasal. It got so bad I would cough till I vomit. It is also very hard to breathe through my mouth without coughing.
I seem to be sweating easily. When I cough or sleep mainly.
The final symptom is loss of concentration. I seem to be forgetful at times or out of it. I saw a neurologist because of this feeling but CT scans and a seizure test ruled out any brain issues.
Does this sound like possible symptoms of severe post nasal drip and sinusitis? People told me it was stress but I honestly, have no stress right now. I just want to get this cough and any other issue taken care of so that I can live a long life with my family.
The 'out of focus feeling' you had when your hand seemed not to be yours is almost certainly a symptom of stress/anxiety.  Chronic cough with sweating is probably caused by a physical disease.  Yes, this could be from bad sinusitis but it is equally likely that it is coming from your lungs, as a result of an infectious or non-infectious process, which needs to be determined.  For example, tuberculosis is notorious for causing sweating, especially nigh-time sweating.

While sinusitis could be the problem, neither you nor your doctor should assume that any longer.  You should be re-examined by your primary care doctor, have a chest x-ray done, have your phlegm cultured for tuberculosis and ask your doctor to refer you to a lung specialist.
I also forgot to say that I am experiencing back and neck pains.
Coughing and NIGHT sweats are characteristics of TB.  If you haven't had a PPD you might consider having one done.  It's unlikely the normal population would get TB.

Have you had a chest x-ray?  What did it show?

I had a very similar problem to what you are experiencing (almost all the same symptoms).  I had a very persistent dry cough and I started coughing so badly I would gag and couldn't sleep.  I also felt like I had a marble stuck in the back of my throat.

After seeing several doctors I saw an amazing physician and he ran a few tests on me.  I had a Sinus CT (more specific than a regular CT) and a barium swallow test.  My barium swallow was negative and my Sinus CT showed infected nasal cysts.  I then saw and ENT and had the cysts removed.  The surgery helped my cough but did not totally get rid of it.  I was still coughing when I would lie down to sleep or eat a lot at one sitting or eat certain foods.

Even though my barium swallow was negative I was diagnosed with GERD.  I know take a PPI (protonix) and do not have a problem with coughing.

So my advice to you would be-
Get a chest xray
Have a PPD test done
Have a barium swallow test
Have a Sinus CT
See an ENT

Hope this helps a bit.  I coughed for 9 months until I was diagnosed, pure hell.  It's amazing how habitual coughing can alter your life.

Cheers,
A.W., RRT
Went in to ER on Friday. Had some trouble breathing without hacking like mad. Had breathing treatments and oxygen. I felt better. They took a chest xray which they said they found nothing. I have an appointment this week for TB test, and blood to be taken.

I am starting to think it is just my allergies and asthma out of whack. I haven't had a shot in 3 years and was smoking for a few months. I am on some meds now to clear up my airways etc. Any home remedies or meds to stop coughing, and to make breathing a little easier to speed up and simplify my recovery?
I have been coughing for almost 8 months.  I do not smoke.  I have seen ENT, and pulmonary specialists.  I've had pulmonary function tests, medication for sinus drip,etc.  I don't have asthma.  My lung xray was clear.  Pulmomary test showed minor restriction.  Nothing has helped my cough.  Pulmonary doctor wants me to take a lung ct xray to look for sarcoidosis.  Is that the right test for sarcoid?  In the mean time I continue to cough and cough.  Any temporary remedies out there?
Hi Everyone

I have also been coughing for quite some time as a result of sinus problems and Post Nasal Drip.  I cough all day and allllllll night.  Some one told me to purchase Dr. Tichenor's Antiseptic Mouthwash and gargle with it. You have to add 5 parts water/...I added 4 parts water to make it a little stronger.  I gargle with it in the morning, afternoon and before bed at night.  

After coughing for close to 2 months now, I have not coughed for 3 days now.  So maybe some one else can can try it and let me know what they think.  

Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker