Respiratory Disorders Community
Coughing up white flem(phlegm) constantly

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Hi forum,
I get bouts of coughing up and spitting out pure white flem (phlegm) hundreds of times a day weeks on and weeks off. It's the flem (phlegm) that causes me to cough just to clear it so I dont have a cough as such, just sometimes loads of flem (phlegm).
When it goes it just goes.
Often in the morning when it is present the flem (phlegm) makes me want to vomit and a couple of times I have vomited a bit to get it up.
I am living in a remote area with a useless doc many miles away who said my chest and lung x-ray were not unusual so he has no idea of the cause. I used to smoke years ago but dont think that this is related. I'd love to know what is going on, I'm afraid if it gradually gets worse I will drown in flem (phlegm) one day!
Hi, probably because of "post nasal drip" you are having these symptoms. This is a condition in which excessive mucous produced by inflammed sinuses dribbles down the throat.

Consult an ENT doctor, try steam inhalation, nasal irrigation, antibiotic course(amoxicillin, levoflox etc) along with anti histamincs.
javascript:hover_boxes['report_abuse'].show_hover('hb_report_abuse_Post_2622122', 'report_abuse_Post_2622122');
Hi, also important is to rule out GERD i.e gastroesophageal reflux disease. Try a course of omeprazole 20mg daily for 2 weeks, if relief is seen, probably you have this disease. Get an endoscopy done to find out the cause later.