Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Coughing up white mucus in shower

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Coughing up white mucus in shower

Here's the story. A few months ago, around christmas, I had an Ionic Breeze. This thing put out tons of ozone, which i now know as being a repiratory irritant. I didn't realize it at first but my small room amplified the affects. I developed a very serious cough (white mucus) that didn't subside for weeks after I stopped using it all together.

My problem is this... whenever I'm in the shower, I'm guessing due to very high moisture, I keep getting the same white mucus creeping up my throat. I sometimes gag and cough forcefully trying to get it out. And it always looks the same. White foamy mucus. And, it tastes salty... if that helps.

What if anything can I do about it? It's been months.....

-Dan
This problem can be from an inflammatory reaction.  This can be in the upper airways, such as the nose and sinuses, which produces mucus that drains down the back of the nose causing you to cough the mucus out.  It is also possible for the inflammation to produce mucus in the lungs, which causes you to cough the mucus out.  The treatment, primarily the use of a nasal inhaled steroid, can be for one or the other or both.  The best first step is to have your doctor determine if this is an upper or lower airway problem or both.  Then your doctor would prescribe the best medicine to get the inflammation under control.
sounds like you may have some bronchitis or alergic (allergic) bronchitis.same thing happens to me. started 3 years ago and has happened every april since.the moisture of the shower is loosining it up for you so you can cough it up.it usuallt lasts 2 to 3 months with me.you should go get  a check up,it is probably nothing to serious,but always good to check.

I have had that very thing happen in the shower also I thought it was a sinus problem.  I found out just recently that some of the mucus in my chest may have been from my sinuses ,however, my lungs are not working at full capacity which was discovered when my primary finally deceide to do a breathing test!  Any how the bottom line for me is That I have late onset Asthma!  That white mucus does need to come up and out. If I was you I would make a apt and ask your Dr for a breathing test to see if your lungs could be involved in the mucus production.  There are many meds available to help treat astmaa.  I'm still in trouble but we are working on trying to get it under control.  Good Luck.
Hi, Im sorry you had a bad experience with somthing that was supposed to help you. Yes those machines are expensive and can be respiratory irritants.
I have experienced Ionic Breeze machines to be irritating as well, and I think they make the air smell funny. Im glad you got rid of that thing. How long did you have it for? You were obviously sensitive to it.

The white foamy mucus that you cough up in the shower, could be due to the hot steamy vapors you inhale loosening up mucus in your chest, which can be a little annoying, you say its been over a month and its still happening even now that the machine is out of your room. I wouldnt be too freaked out about it, I dont mind a man who clears his throat a little bit in the shower. Its probably good that you are getting it out, rather than it harboring in your chest. Your body is obviously reacting to somthing, mucus is the bodys way of protecting itself against irritants, or when there had been oxidative damage.

Do you have any other symptoms besides the foamy foe in the shower?

I hope this foam goes back to where it belongs and stops bothering you, and soon!

Let me know how you are feeling.
Thanks for the replies...

To be exact, it's been 4 months since I've gotten rid of it. And I'm not just clearing my throat, sometimes I'm near choking on it trying to get it out. I have to spit it up every few minutes. It'll go away completely about 30 minutes after I'm out of the shower.

Now that spring is here, I find that I seem to be having a few issues with sinuses and my thoat. Which only adds to it.

Other problems I have? I have sleep apnea, I snore, and I wake up sweating with a dry mouth. I wonder if this is a contributing factor or not.
A related discussion, pulmonary fibrosis was started.
A related discussion, White mucus was started.
A related discussion, cfs was started.
A related discussion, mucus that taste like clorox was started.
If I over exert  my self I start to gag and cough up white Flem (phlegm).
A related discussion, coughing up foamy white mucus for 3 weeks was started.