Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Coughing with clear gel-like balls.

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Coughing with clear gel-like balls.

When I cough these small gel-like balls are coming up, usually just one at a time but it's happening alot more frequently now. There is also a dull ache in my chest afterwards.
This is not much information to work with.  Your doctor needs to examine the gel-like balls.  He should then send them to the bacteriology lab for more careful, microscopic examination.  These could be fungus balls, from an allergy.
If it is a clear mucous then odds are it is a benign condtion. If it is colored or bloody then you need to see a docotor right away.  If you are a smoker this will certianly cause you to have a chronic cough and other respitory problems.
i have recently had the same thing. funny little jelly blobs. Mine are coming from my read nasal area - I can suck them down to remove them before they go lower and have to be couged up. I sometimes get a sore chest from couhging. Sometimes it's mild and sometimes it's more like bronchitis. I'm sure with me it's the physical stress of coughing that's iritating the chest. I have tried using a salt/baking powder wash for clearing out my nsoe and sinus when I have a cold - it's been working great but I suspect the baking powdwer component (which is used to provide a friendly pH level) is causing the jelly. I have reverted to using salt only and so far no jelly  but it's early days. Could also be an unusual bug - there are so many flus and colds going around here at the moment. good luck.
Hi; I am reading all this with horror;sounds just like me.The horror is,reading that milk and icecream can cause mucus.I am Swiss-American,and milk,cheeze,and dairy is my middle name.

However, what's hapening(I have had bronchitus (bronchitis) twice this year,)it is a very hot(104 degrees)July,now,in north California,with plenty of allergies,pollen,ect.,and it's hot; and suddenly,my nose,sinus,ears are draining like crazy into my throat.I always have allergies,mostly to pollen,ect. But,suddenly,without warning,I am coughing,badly,on just drinking water,sore throat,coughing up solid little jelly balls,like I have bronchitus (bronchitis).But it is the darn stuff from my sinus,draining into my throat,(sore throat)and into my bronchial area,I bet!! From hot weather,I got bronchitus (bronchitis)? From the allergies from the stuck draining out of my sinus? Yoicks!!!

I am so upset,I am going tomorrow morning to emergency,as I do not want to get bronchitus (bronchitis) again.I regularly take Allegra,and that does not seem to work enough,to stop draining;also,I just started using a Bronchial steamer on my sinus,cause it helps to open it up.(Yes,I always clean it,and the tank,every time.) Also, every night,now I use Nasonex nose spray(from doctor.)I am liable to gettting sinus infections,very badly,in past,and can even get them from allergies.(Like hot weather,pollen.)Is this sinus drainage in danger of giving me bronchitus (bronchitis) easily? Should I use Flonaise instead?I read about the milk allergey,for mucus,and am horrified;do I have to give up milk? ugh.

I also read about the salt water,and am trying to gargle salt water back,up thru my palate(rather than thru my nose,that hurts too much,)which sometimes gets the salt water into my sinus.That does not usually hurt,that way.(sounds silly,but it works.)(I did it again,it works.)am now brewing a huge cup of green tea with lemon and honey,which is good on the throat.

How do I get rid of this darn draining from allergy?What do I use?(I jus took an antihistimine,too,although it makes me drowsy.)It is draining right thru my ear canals,into throat,too.Do I now have my seasonal allergy caused sinus infection? Nuts. My sister's allergies are even worse;ditto my dad always had sinus problems. My mom has some,but minor.But we are a family of allergies and sinus problems.What do people recommend? Cut out the darn sinus completely with a cleaver?(just kidding, usually surgery makes it worse,I read.)Thanks,all, this is very enlightening, if nauseating. ha.   ---dorothyblueeyes
A related discussion, having cold was started.