Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Could it be Allergies? Unusual Symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Could it be Allergies? Unusual Symptoms

Started 6 weeks ago with a slight sore throat and Fatique. Doc put me on Bactrim and Nasal Spray but never got better. Felt like something was constantly in my throat, Excessive Drainage, lower part of throat feels like something is there. Went to ENT doctor and he didn't see anything in my throat which he looked with a light down my throat to my vocal cord. He then put me on Steroids claiming it was more than likely allergies but that also did not work.  I feel like there is alot of Saliva in back of my throat, my throat is still slightly sore, it is hard to clear my throat and it seems like there is alot of drainage coming down my throat.  Also, my blood work came back ok too.  2 Days ago after waking from a nap, my throat was burning and felt like when I swallowed it didn't want to go thru.  Also, when I swallowed my saliva it seemed like the saliva wanted to come right back up and I could even hear a slight popping sound in my throat.  Could this be reflux?  I never get heartburn, I don't have any allergy symptoms such as watery eyes, runny nose, etc.  I have been battling this for 6 weeks now and it is definately interfering with my life.  Any suggestions on what this could be?
This does not sound like an allergic problem.  It may be due to inflammation that is coming from your sinuses.  This could be related to an infectious or a noninfectious process.  Either can cause the symptoms you are describing.  A CT scan of the sinuses may help in making the diagnosis.  Working with your doctor to make the diagnosis will hopefully lead to a treatment that gets rid of the problem.
Sounds like a more complete ENT workup is needed.  If you go back to the ENT they will probably order a more extensive test.
This is the same exact issue that I am having except I have been having this issue for about 6 months. I have been on antibiotics, steroids and prilosec and nothing is working. I have had a CT scan on my neck and they came back negative. They are now thinking that it is allergy related but I'm not so sure. I also have a very difficult time speaking. Some days my voice wears out early in the day and some days it seems okay but I still feel as if something is stuck in my throat. They now have me on Advair and Allegra. I am praying that it works but I have not noticed any difference yet.
Not everyone who has allergies have the same symptoms. My aunt gets the usual symptoms (runny nose, runny eyes, sneezing). I never did...I got the postnasal drip that was constant (rhinitis) &/or sinus infections. Allergy medications didn't help on their own. I had to get allergy shots for 10 years. I've been off them for a few years now and am doing great. It is soooo much better. I used to wonder if the postnasal drip would ever go away.

If nothing else is working, I highly suggest getting allergy tested. I personally would never take steroids. My favorite allergy medicine was: Claritin, Zyrtec & allegra.

Have no clue on your swallowing problems, etc.
A related discussion, I smell smoke was started.