Crackles in lungs while lying down only
I am 43yrs and have had no prior chronic respiratory issues (asthma, bronchitis).  My problem is that when I lay down, after a while, I will start hearing crackles (popping noises) when inhaling and exhaling.  Sounds like when I had pneumonia a long time ago.  It doesn't happen every time I lay down, but is getting more frequent.  What is strange is that it happens if I am lying on my back or left side only.  If I turn over to my right side it's gone, but if I go back to my left side or back, it's there again.  The crackles aren't there upon waking in the a.m.  My doctor isn't sure what it could be.  Maybe GERD, maybe bronchi issues.  If so, wouldn't this still be apparent when I lay on my right side?  Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has had this also so that I can narrow this down before I jump into getting too many tests done that I cannot afford.  Thanks for any suggestions.
I have the same symptoms as you describe. It gets so bad at times it wakes me up from a sound sleep. It is so maddening but mostly worrisome. I have had pneumonia in the left lung twice and I thought that was why I heard the crackles on that side. I have talked with my Dr about it but he can't hear the noise with the stethoscope. I even tried laying down on my left side before he came in the exam room. I don't know what to do about this problem
I have that exact problem.  Doc doesnt hear it but when i lay down.....its back!!!  I did notice a small fan helps and benadryl and flonase.  It has to be allergy but i keep getting infections also when i wake i smell a pungent acidic odder that goes away if i irrigate and blow my nose.