Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Death from blood in lungs

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Death from blood in lungs
My 71 yr old Aunt died this week and I am curious about the cause.
She was recuperating from hip replacement surgery at home and after three weeks she died in bed.
Her husband said he tried to wake her in the morning several times with no luck. She was made small gurgle sounds but after several tries he called 911.
They came out and placed a tube down her throat and removed about a pint of blood.
But it was too late, they pronounce her dead.

My Uncle said she would not wear the leg stockings given her and she still continued to smoke.
Would a blood clot in the lungs cause this problem?

Thanks,
Terry in Texas

Yes, a blood clot to the lung is the most likely explanation.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker