Respiratory Disorders Community
Death from emphysema

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Death from emphysema

What does the family expect to happen at the end with a loved one who has emphysema.  Can't breathe and affixiates?  Heart attack?  Usually complications to pneumonia?  We want to be prepared and know what's ahead for us and our Mother.  We know everyone is different, so what is the USUAL cause of death?  
Avatar n tn
My mom died in 05 of emphysema, I lived with her the last 3 years and was her only care taker.  If your mom is capable of walking (on a treadmill) this would be really good for her, very slow with oxygen on of course.  My mom walked every day that she could and the Dr. said that is the only reason she lived as long as she did.With my mom it was very much a roller coaster ride, she would go way down have to go in the hospital, and I would always think she wasn't going to last long, and then she would all of the sudden have some good weeks.  up and down for 3 years, at the very end, she did not want to go to the hospital any more so hospice put a hospital bed in the house.  I did everything for her, cooking, help her get dressed, bathe etc for probably the last 2 years..  It just took to much energy for her to do anything.  One of the best things we did was put a chair in the bathtub and put in a sprayer, that made it much easier for her baths.  Her breathing just got shorter and shorter, and once she got in the hospice bed (5 days before she past) she never got out.  Hospice had me give her moraphine to keep her comfortable, and that was the hardest thing I ever had to do, I felt like I was killing her myself.  I realize now that the moraphine just helped her to stay comfortable and was the best thing for her.  If you don't have a support group of any kind I would suggest you get one.  Being a care taker is very stressfull, but I wouldn't  give anthing for  those last 3 years that I got to spend with her.  
Thank you for sharing.
I have been dealing with emphysema since 2009 and in spite of doing everything that has been suggested (both from regular medical doctors and alternative doctors) I keep getting worse.  I even had stem cell replacement.  I need oxygen (4 liters) most of the time and have been told the only option left is a lung transplant.  No one tells me what will happen that that will actually cause me to die, what that process is or when it will happen.  What do people actually die from and what is the process?  I need to know what to expect to be able to make future decisions.
I feel just about the same as you.
I do not know or have  any answers as to how and when I will die of Emphysema.
And I am going crazy because I can not get any answers as to treatment.  I think there is no treatment to get better but only treatment to make ourselves more comfortable.
I am 61 years old, and was diagnosed about 5 years ago with I assume  beginning stage. As I never went back for the Diagnosis!  But I knew I had it when The Medical Assistant went, "That's not Good"  I flunked the test where you have to exhale, and passed all others.
3 months ago, December 2015,  I was diagnosed with "Moderate" or 2nd stage, emphysema lung changes, which means, that My lungs changed from the original diagnosis.  Also, I had quit smoking originally but started playing around with smoking 7 months ago.   I re-quit today!!!!  
That's all it took for my emphysema to advance a stage!!!
Does anyone know about possible treatments for this disease besides quitting smoking?  Does walking help?
I do not need oxygen yet, I am take Spiriva (HandiHaler) once per day..
***@****