Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Deviated Septum / breathing problem / tiredness / depression

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I'd like to know a little more about the symptoms of a deviated septum. I've been suffering from several symptoms for years, and it seems hard to believe all of them come from a deviated septum. My symptoms are: swollen nose when sleeping (inside part of nostrils, which tends to desappear once I wake up), strong headaches when I wake up and at other times of the day, bleeding nose, rings under the eyes, "dried" irrited eyes.

Most of all, I've been suffering from tiredness all these years. Sometimes I feel my legs as if I had walked a thousand miles, I feel sleepy througout the day, but at night I feel fine. I also tend to get dizzy, but not much. I feel my mind gets tired, too. Finally, I also feel depressed, and maybe this is the saddest part. This has been affecting my private and social life. Friends say I'm forgetful, absentminded, and passive, but I feel this is part of my problem. Sometimes I just feel I wanna cry. It's been for years. I went to an otorhino lately and he said I had to undergo surgery. It's hard to believe my nose is causing all this, but when I think it's a breathing problem, I feel it's possible. I would like to have the opinion of another doctor so I convince myself and go on with the surgery. I wouldn't like to spend so much money and then realize all this was not caused by a deviated septum.
PLEASE ADVISE ME!!!
I know where you're coming from...I was recently told that I have a deviated septum.  It sounds like we have some of the same symptoms, but I suspect (and I could be wrong, but...) that you have some other issues to confront.  The depression (which could be caused by your general day after day of not feeling well) can be why you feel tired, not sociable, etc.  I've suffered from depression and anxiety and know that feeling.  Is there something that you can do for yourself (i.e., prayer, relaxation methods, talking to a friend about how you feel, or seeing a therapist (something which I sometimes wish I had access to), that would lift your spirits???  Also, sometimes if you are lacking in certain vitamins and minerals, you can feel this way.  I remember being very low at one point in Vit. K (found thru a blood test) and after taking doctor prescribed supplements, and improving my diet, I began to feel much better.  I previously had been really dragging myself around.  So, that's just a thought.   I am going back to the allergist tomorrow, and will ask him what the symptoms of a deviated septum are...I'll let you know what he says.  I highly doubt that I would have surgery for mine...but I don't know how bad your's is.    Another thing I can suggest, if you are interested is taking "royal jelly" which is very nutritious for the body! I order mine from QVC and it is called Bee-Alive Sweet Energy. It is mixed with honey and tastes quite good, too.  This would probably help you also (more than you think it could!).   I'll get back to you....needabreak.
Thanks.  I appreciate your advise, and will be looking forward to your future comments.  I have discovered recently that I was sleeping more than I should -from 8 to 10 hours.  I said, well if my problem is that I can't breath properly while sleeping, then I should sleep less.  I tried it and it's helping.  Sometimes I sleep from 5 to 6 hours.  Of course, the problem is not gone, but it's a good help.  I've been exercising and that also helps because you get more oxigen with exercising that with the usual breathing.
Good morning!  I did see the allergist and asked him what symptoms I would have because of my deviated septum...he said that depending on how much it is blocking a nasal passage (sinus), it could have varying degrees of discomfort/problems.  This would include sinus drainage, pain around my eyes, face, possible sinus infections, etc., which is what I thought and really nothing I couldn't deal with.  Then, I considered your feeling depressed (and I think you said tired, non-sociable)and I guess my suggestion of relaxation music wasn't what would help that...it's just that certain music calms me when I'm feeling "anxious", which is different.  Sorry.  Feeling sick so much IS depressing, I know, and we need to try turning our thoughts around to positive things (not always as easy as it sounds).  Exercise is good!  Doing good things for your body, including eating right and including a boost of nutritional supplements (like the Bee-Alive, etc) will help give you renewed energy.   Do you remember ever injuring your nose, causing your deviated septum?  I don't, but think maybe it's hereditary in my case...I've found that when having sinus "problems" (and it is usually seasonal) that I wake up with headaches early (5-5:30).  But usually once I got up and moved around and had a cup of coffee, it would go away.  My mom swears by the coffee for her sinus headaches (the caffiene helps alot, but it's also the fact that it's hot...so I don't think colas would do the same).  IF you have a sinus infection, of course that's different, and you probably could benefit from antibiotics.   I NEED 8-9 hrs. of sleep.  Some people need less as they age, but so far, I still feel better during the day with 8-9.  I  really hope you start feeling better in all ways.  Just think, "this too will pass" and there are better days ahead.    needabreak
Thanks, needabreak.  I really appreciate your comments.  I started excersicing and that has helped.  I'm not sure when I'll go through the surgery, but I hope it'll be soon.  By now I'll have to take care using the tips I've learned.  Once I go through the surgery, I'll post a comment talking about my improvement.
sir i have breathing problem since 15 days, i can feel that iam not breathing properly and i also  have mild pain on my left side  of my chest. i have gone through  chest x-ray there is some  problem in that, the docter told my that the problem is due  to  brokarites disorder , because of pollution.

sir i need to know what is causing me this breathing problem