Respiratory Disorders Community
Diaphragmatic paralysis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Diaphragmatic paralysis

I was recently diagnosed with it and need more information before my next doctors appointment on April 1, 09

This discussion is related to Bilateral diaphragmatic paralysis please help.
Is your diaphragm paralyzed on one side? I am also betting that it was picked up on a routine chest xray unless you had symptoms of shortness of breath, problems breathing while bending over etc....I have bilateral diaphragmatic issues, if you have questions please fire away and I will try to help you.
Sunny :)

First I want to thank you for responding to my posting. I hope that you are feeling OK. It is on one side, and yes it was picked up durine a routine x-ray. I do not have shortness of breath, but I have arthritis in my rib cage which hurts. I am really cluless to this diagnosis. My doctor hass been talking to me. My question is: How serious is it and what are the treatments. I am scheduled for more tests to rule out any underlying issues.

Schocolate
I am doing pretty well for me these days, knock on wood! As far as unilateral paralysis, or one sided paralysis, people don't usually have symptoms which is good news. Some do and require some help in the form of respiratory support (BiPAP) or even surgery. But, if you aren't having problems in that area, most likely you will just be watched. The causes of paralysis are usually not identified. Sometimes a virus plays a part, some procedures that involves proximity to the phrenic nerve (such as cardiac surgery, even gallbladder surgery I heard), a tumor, etc...As you can see, there are quite a few reasons why the phrenic nerve can be damaged.
I hope this helps and good luck on the tests. Hopefully a cause can be determined, but as I said, most cases are labeled "idopathic" or unknown cause.

Sunny
That information was really helpful. I am having pain in my chest, shoulders and back. i was told that I have arthritis in my rib cage nd am ungoing additional test. I will keep you posted, but I feel that I know the questions to ask my doctor. It is all due to your explaining this unusual illness.