Respiratory Disorders Community
Difficulty breathing lying down - can't sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

For the last 3 weks I have had difficulty breathing.   I spent 5 days in the hospital and lung and heart tests were clear (EKG, stress test, Chest x-ray, nuclear med. lung scan, Cat scan-lung, pulse ox was also ok) however my white count was high and I have a pre-existing GERD condition, and the ENT did see some burns on the vocal chord from the GERD. I was on antibiotics (azithomyacin and levaquin) for 2 weeks. I also had a TB test done which was negative. I also went to an allergist and he put me on Advair, Claritin and albuterol inhalers.   I have also added prilosec in the am along with Prevacid I have been taking in the PM for the last 4 years for the GERD.

I never had any problems breathing before 2 months ago when I had phemonia and bronchitis (which I was given azithromiacin for).   It seemed to get better except at night I had a slight tickle in the throat.   Then 3 weeks ago, I woke up and could hardly breathe, so I went to ER and the above hospital stay.  During the stay I was also getting nebulizer treatments every 4 - 6 hours.

During the day, when I am up and around, it reverts to some slight shortness of breath and slight pressure in the right lung and a tickle/some pressure in the throat).   At night,when I first lay down, I have a little shortness of breath but can get to sleep.   After about 2-3 hours I suddenly can't breathe and my right lung aches badly, so it wakes me up.  I feel like the throat may be constricting also.  I have to take an inhaler and stay up for about an hour before I can lay back down, but it continues to get worse all night so I can't really sleep well for the rest of the night and have to keep getting up.  By AM, the pain is really bad in the right lung/chest, so I have to get up.    I have tried sleeping propped up also, and it still happens, although I may get an extra hour or so before it wakes me up.

Any ideas on how to pursue this, or what it may be?   I have seen a few Doctors and nothing is helping so far. I'm not sure where to go at this point?  

I  have been sick for over 2wks. and was on antibiotics and can't sleep either at night.  I get a tickle that starts in my chest/lungs and moves to my throat.  I end up coughing so much, my stomach, chest and throat muscles hurt.  I also end up coughing so much that I end up gagging and throwing up, which causes me to choke and not breath.
I need help figuring out what's wrong?  All the Dr's do is tell me it will take time to get back to normal... Has anyone else experienced this, and could it be something unrelated to the flu I had... I'm no longer feverish, but I can't sleep and I choke up at night mainly...  Any suggestions?
If you found out what the problem was can you PLEASE reply to this message. My father has been having these problems and passed out hitting his head on a table. He does not want to go to the doctors even though i told him he should, he is currently 56 years old drinks every night and stopped smoking about 20 - 30 years ago. PLEASE REPLY!