Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Difficulty swallong anything. Possibly reflux or allergic reaction.
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Difficulty swallong anything. Possibly reflux or allergic reaction.

*I am currently on Nexium and I have been diagnosed with acid reflux disease.
Yesterday at 2 P.M. I drank 3 ounces of water with warm honey/apple cider vinegar. My throat started to feel strange, I felt as if my throat was closing. I immediately took Zyrtec-D when the symptoms started, 5 minutes after the drink. 4 hours later the feeling remained, and was worsening. I went to a doctor nearby and he recommended I take a Benadryl in case the reaction was allergic. The Zyrtec-D did not work. At 7, I went to another family doctor (took half a Benadryl tablet and a liquid dose). He speculated that it may be acid reflux related and said I should take tums or Mylanta. I took 2 tums, no relief. I felt my throat getting worse and we went to the Emergency Room. First went to the store to buy Mylanta. At around 8 o'clock my symptoms had not receded, but I did not feel like staying at the Emergency Room. I went home and went to sleep. Same symptoms today, but different feeling. I feel I have a ball of mucus stuck in my throat. I took a decongestant and Mylanta early. I did notice I was congested, but they did not grant me any relief. I took a very warm shower and felt the mucus loosening but without any resolve. I returned to the ER this and met with a nurse practitioner. She thinks there may be some swelling in my throat. I was administered a steroid shot to reduce the swelling. The earliest I can receive endoscopy is in two weeks. After taking the shot I passed out for a few minutes, (I had not eaten since this event started) but I gradually began to feel temporary relief. I came home took Nexium for reflux, drank an Ensure, 2 glasses of water, along with a small meal. It is late now and symptoms are returning. What could this possibly be? Note: No general pain. Simply difficulty swallowing anything.
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker