Respiratory Disorders Community
Distressful Respiratory Problem - Help
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Distressful Respiratory Problem - Help

HI...
I am 31 years old male...smoked for 13 years heavily and gave up recently..
Long sory short, I have been having this problem for a while and recently it got really progressive to a point where I can not sleep more than a few hours a day....
I have this constant need to get a deep breath in all the time, I mean every 5 breaths or so sometimes less sometimes much less but usually there...and when I sleep I really struggle and toss around all the time trying to get a lungful while I turn around and try to sleep but cant succeed...I am not really a stressful person...
I went to a doctor a while ago with qan X-ray, and saying that I have hyperinflated lungs (they have to take chest x-rays twice cause my lungs are big or hyperinflated) and my diaphragm being flat he diagnosed me with COPD, emphysema....This was overseas where I worked, later I went back home and I went to a pulmonologist, they did a pulse oximetry which was %98 and spirometry which came out ok. then I saw another pulmonologist not being convinced, they did a full PFT with diffusion and without being detailed here were the results,
FVC                %135 predicted
FEV1               %129 predicted
FEV1/FVC%     %97 predicted (80 percent of FVC exhaled)
Lung Volumes 0 SVC- %132 percent predicted
IC  - %117 percent predicted
ERV - %163 !!! predicted-----------emphysema?
RV(Pleth) - %103 predicted
TLC(Pleth) - %125 predicted------emphysema?
FRC  -%134 Predicted -------------------emphysema?
RV/TLC - %81 predicted

Diffusion - DLCO 32.33 - %109 predicted
DL/VA - %121 predicted

now the pulmonologist says all ok accordingly,I asked about hyperinflation and he says I just have big lungs, although I am not a singer or an athlete whatsoever, never been one,., I find ERV above too much, anyway I dont really care about these, I really want to know why everyone thinks I have hyperinflated lungs (2 x-rays needed) and flat diaphragm, and I have this horrible respiratory problem, I am having to yawn or try to force chest breathing all the time to take a full deep breath, air hunger...I dont hyperventilate, I am not anemic(had blood test recently) and no alpha1 antitrypsin deficiency...the only thing I didnt do is MRCT and CPX (Cardiopulmonary Stress Test). Both pulmonologists sent me away without an answer, isnt it a bit irresponsible? Can above spirometry rule everything out?? They keep telling me I am too young to have COPD and I am glad to hear that I am not anxious to have it, but I am the one who lost interest in life due to breathing problems and what else should I go for? Shoudl I go for ABG? Should I go for Cardiac tests? Can someone who knows what they are saying please respond? I will be very happy...I am really suffering 24/7 from this...