Do I need a sleep study?
I recently had a home study done on my oxygen levels during sleep. The results showed 9 hours. My range of oxygen in the blood was 93% - 99%; an average of 93% with one event that lasted no more than 3 minutes. The lowest reading was 83....maybe that was the event! Anyway, my physician seems to be leaving it up to me if I want a sleep study. I do snore, and that seems to be a concern. My concern is the cost (approx $3000 out of pocket and with insurance) and that I won't be able to produce the 6 consecutive hours of data needed for a valid study. I can't afford one study much less another one, especially if there is no concern. If I was your patient, would you be concerned with these results?
Thanks!
Hi, without actually seeing the results of your study it is impossible to say. If the study you had done was an oximetry study it is important to know how many dips in oxygen levels at 4% and how many dips per hour. As well as snoring do you have any problems with excessive tiredness during the day. Would you fall asleep during the day if you were sitting down to watch tv, or if driving etc. If the doc feels the first study results werent conclusive to diagnose a sleep condition but you have excessive tiredness then it would definitely be worth having a more detialed sleep study done.