Respiratory Disorders Community
Does persistent bronchitis lead to lung disease?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Does persistent bronchitis lead to lung disease?

I've had acute bronchitis for well over a month now. I've been to the doctors many many times. In each visit the doctor would prescribe another 7-day antibiotic medication to rid of the infection. By the end of each medication, I'm still coughing and even more sick. I have a hard time breathing and none of the over-the-counter cough medicines helps relieve the cough. At one point I couldn't eat for three days because every time I do eat, I vomit the food out because of the cough. I feel weak and tired. And I get horrible headaches now and then. Coughs don't last the entire day either. But I do cough a few times each day. I don't smoke, but I did smoke 5 years ago. And I don't hang around smokers. So I don't really exposed to second-hand smoking. So I'm guessing I must have picked up the virus or bacteria elsewhere. I'm getting so irritated with doctor because she's not really taking this serious. She seems confident that it'll go away. But its now almost 2 months since I got bronchitis. I feel like my immune system is exhausted. What does persistent bronchitis cause? Do I now have something worse than bronchitis? How do I suggest to my doctor what to do or where to look? Please help... any advice, suggestions?