Respiratory Disorders Community
Does your lung recollapse after a traumatic pneumothorax?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

About a few months ago I was in a car accident and a traumatic pneumothorax was brought onto me. I was wondering if my lung might re collapse at some point in my life. I should point out that I smoke a little bit. I was told that since I had a traumatic pnemothorax that it wouldn't re collapse. Is this true?
Of course the lun(s) can collapse again, but that isn't your question.

You want to know if the fact your lung collapsed once will increase the chances of this happening again.

I don't know the circumstances of the first "lung collapse". You state it was "traumatic"

There is a condition known as "spontaneous pneomothorox" in which the lung collapses suddenly for no apparent reason.

There seems to be evidence in the literature that a single instance will increase the probability of this happening a second time.

There are always exceptions, but I would sleep well and contentedly.