Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Dr. Tinkelman - Question Re: Bibasilar Crackles
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dr. Tinkelman - Question Re: Bibasilar Crackles

A quick question Dr. Tinkelman -- Thank You!

Can bibasilar crackles, which I understand occur at the lung bases, be heard from the mouth or does it require stethescope to hear them?
Tags: Bibasilar Crackles, Lung
Related Discussions
242587_tn?1355427710
Crackles can only be heard with a stethoscope.  They can sometimes be the result of shallow breathing but can also be a sign of more serious, but almost always treatable heart or lung disease.  Should they persist after a few deep breaths, it would be appropriate for your doctor to determine the cause and institute the proper treatment.  Crackles are themselves not harmful but only a sign, a warning signal, to be further investigated.

Good luck
2 Comments
Blank
Thank you for answering my question.

After I posted it, I went in for a spirometry test and the Dr. who performed it, answered similarly to you. He also said that crackles heard from the mouth can be from mucous in the sides of the throat, in the larynx area or at the top of the bronchial tubes. He said if mucous build up is severe, bubbling sounds can sometimes also be heard.

My concern was that crackles heard from the mouth might represent lung fibrosis but apparently these type are included in those heard only with stethescope.

Thanks again and when my spirometry results are in, I may post key results, to see if you generally feel they are normal or abnormal. I will have a Dr. report with them (by a respiratory MD) but I like to get more than one opinion when possible, especially since my regular MD is limited in the respiratory area.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker