Respiratory Disorders Community
Dry Cough, Rattle in Chest- HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Dry Cough, Rattle in Chest- HELP!

So I've had a cough for about 5 weeks now. For one week I was coughing up green mucus, but the rest of the time I've had a dry, non-productive cough. I went to my doctor and he prescribed an antibiotic- azythromicin. Besides making me nauseous and giving me horrible digestive issues, the antibiotic didn't do much. the cough seems to get worse at night with the cold air and there is sometimes a rattle in my chest when I breathe. The doctor did a lung test (I had to breathe really hard into a machine) and the results were normal. He said if the antibiotics didn't work to go in for a follow-up exam, but he didn't seem to know what was wrong with me. I have another appointment to see him in a couple of days but I'm worried because he doesn't seem to know what I have. Can anyone help me?

(also, for the cough i've taken Mucinex, Nyquil, and Tessalon Perles and NOTHING helps suppress it)
I also do not smoke or breathe in second-hand smoke.
Hello, I also have a rattley chest predominantly at night. It usually wakes me up in the small hours. I have pleural plaques caused by asbestos fibres stuck in the lining of the lung. Most people get little or no symptoms and so are unaware that they have this dangerous disease, I have a lot including pain in my chest, shortness of breath constant mostly dry cough. If your doctor doesn't know what it is I suggest you try to see another doctor or specialist I was sent for several non-conclusive x-rays until I insisted on a CT scan which showed up the plaques in profusion on both lungs. They can be caused by one, one micron fibre, smaller than a human hair and can take 15 to 20 years to develop into plaques. In the UK and many countries scandalously the disease is non-compensable. My illness has slowly worsened and may develop into mesothelioma or cancer. The asbestos is endemic in our world being incorporated into brake shoes and clutches on vehicles, plaster, roofing, night storage heaters, older type salon hairdryers, rawlplugs,  iron stands it is an extremely dangerous substance in all of its forms. Although known about since the late 1800's nothing practical was done about banning it until the late 1990's. This is the responsibility of government's, insurers and employers. My employers offered no education and no protection for me and it took only 18 months to be infected by the asbestos. Some relief is provided with de-humidifiers, anti-biotics and other natural remedies such as root ginger. Some of the worst things for me is the constant worry, lack of being taken seriously, ignorance of people in general ,as there are no obvious signs of illness, being unable to do things that I could easily do years ago, I have always been very fit ,healthy and never smoked. The lack of compensation is a scandal that should embarrass all involved with asbestos. I know of Turner's asbestos factory in Erith which was finally persuaded to shut, it was in a very built up area and the factory pools for growing the asbestos were just filled with earth the land sold and houses built on the land, another disaster made and about to explode in illness.