Respiratory Disorders Community
Dry Cough during Winter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Dry Cough during Winter

I seem to have this reoccurring dry cough that only seems to appear during the winter months. It has happened for the past 4-5 years. Sometimes, the dry cough gets to a point that my chest/ribs hurt. I have gone to see my family doctor a few times regarding this issue and have been tested for allergies and asthma, both are not present. Usually this cough starts out with a normal cold and the cough just stays around all winter. This time, I played indoor soccer on turf grass and felt a little burning sensation in my chest and had difficulty breathing as well as coughing. A few weeks later, and I'm still coughing. Also, I'm only 24 years old in case that helps. I don't smoke or drink and am healthy other than this cough.

Are they both dry coughs related (soccer vs cold)?
What could be the cause? Any suggestions on how to treat it?

Hope someone can help! Thanks.
try some hot walter with lemon and honey ..this rely helps sometimes  take care.
I cough in the winter months.  Same reason/descrtiption as you.  I find that the week the windows are closed and the heater is turned on..."it starts."  I think it's the CARPETS.  Yes, the carpeting.   That stuff can release stuff that sensitive people can't handle....so, they cough.  

Rocky Ruggiero
I have the same problem as you do. I don't know where this cough comes from, but i can assure you it's not from the carpets. I got it this winter while in Dallas and where I was there were no carpets.

I am trying some 'Schuezler salts'  that a friend recommended. Don't know if that helps but the doctors have not found anything and they always just give me antibiotics which don't do a thing.

Let me please know if you find a solutions for your cough.

Romina
romina.***@****
I have had the same as you, chronic, non-productive cough for about 9 years in the winter months, often triggered by cold and damp or following a cold. It can be exhausting and my sympathy goes out to you. I had once torn a chest muscle from this and have several times been sick from sheer coughing (particularly with a bad cold) so this is by no means an easy cough to live with.

BUT there is hope I believe in your case! After several doctors scratching their heads and chest Xrays. One specialist doctor insisted it was mild asthma. This seemed odd to me at the time as I never really felt out of breath except with exercise which I put down to lack of fitness. I also used to cough a lot when exercising (more so than out of breath!). I was given an inhailer which I only use when I have a coughing episode and this works sooper and has made my winters not something to get down about! Hope this helps.
Try putting Vics VaporRub (or equivilant no-name) on your feet before you go to bed.  (Put socks on, too, that keeps the rub on your feet longer and off your sheets!)  

I started getting the winter cough about 9 years ago after I moved to L.A. from New England.  It's starts around Jan/Feb and goes through until Mar/Apr.  I was miserable.  Coughed all night and couldn't sleep.  Would lose my voice from coughing.  Thought about moving back east (That's how desperate I was)

I went to to an allergist who tested me and found that I had no known allergies.  Then I started sleeping with a humidifier, and that only helped a little.  It wasn't until I started putting Vics VaporRub on my feet before I go to bed that I was able to sleep through the night.  I use it during the day too.
Help! My 11 year old has this "winter cough" doctors said allergies...then said not. Then asthma.. Then said not. I feel so terrible for him. His teachers call me worried. His ribs hurt all the time. As a mother I want to help my child and I can't. I am so desperate to give him some relief. Any at all...
I have the same problem too, now its 4 years I have this worries when everytime the wimter comes. I think it started last 2008 it was December in Belgium, and its cold, I went outside running because I forgot the lunch box of my host brother, so I tried run as posible that I can give the lunch box for his school. Then before I noticed, I wasnt wearing any thick jacket with me, and I slowly felt the pain in my chest. Then I started coughing that day, and it last for a month, so I thought at first it was just a normal cough, but then I asked the doctor it is because of Respiratory Infection, so he gave me this medicine and antibiotic, and it really helps after 7 days. But untill now I am still prone from cough every winter...;-(
the only dr. that can help! is a certified Naturopathic Dr. in that field they have the science of conventional medicine and the wisdom of the past. One of their modalities is environmental medicine and Homeopathy... that stuff works like magic! try it!
I am studying for EMT after completing the First Responder course. This sounds to me a lot like croup. For young kids about as old as 12 years old, that sort of cough is very common.
Keep a humidifier in the room they sleep in, and when the cough strikes, try starting a hot shower with LOTS of steam and have your child breathe in the steam. It should help if it that is what it is. I had it as a kid too.