Respiratory Disorders Community
Dry Cough in child for over a month, PLEASE HELP. .

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

My son 4 yrs old had exposure to an adult coughing and then the same day to very cold draft and blast from a very cold AC. Just immediately in 2-3 days, he had fever 100 deg for one day and it went away by itself w/o any medicines. Next day he started a dry cough. .very bad. He was given Maxtra (anti-histaminic) for 5 days, but the cough was bad still. The doctor gave Levosalbutamol syrup and Alerid for 5 days, this had reduced the cough but it increased again by the next week. The doctor continued Levolin and added Predone syrup (15mg) for 3 days. The cough still persisted. Another doctor prescribed Dekdac (dexamethosaone) steroid for 5 days with Mits Linctus Codene, Yet the cough is the same. .intermittant , loud and dry throughout the day sometimes less sometimes more. Again another doc this time prescribed Doxobid (bronchodialotor) , Mits Linctus DX and Budecort Inhaler 100 for 5 days. My son was also given nebulisation the first time with Budesol and then occasionally with Asthalin. He always seemed to be little better with Nebulisation.

We are very worried ,tense and frustrated as no medicines seem to be working on him to reduce considerably or stop the cough. Otherwise my son is very playful and energetic.

This is the first time he had such an episode with dry cough which is not getting well with medicines.

The Chest X-ray is normal, the blood tests for EAC, Haemogram and TB are normal.

His cough seems more if he goes into AC. .We need to fly to another city for 4 hours. Will the cough worsen ? Are there any quick relief inhalers or medicines that can be inhaled to reduce the cough if it increases a lot ?

PLEASE ADVISE. .WE ARE SO DESPERATE NOW. NEED HELP AND ADVISE
Hey you said your son is worse when he is near the cold and this is one of the triggors of asthma. Everyone with asthmas reacts differently to diff triggors one is stress, one is excercise induced, some it might be dust etc. I recently had a bad spell myself of couhing that the dr could not quite explain and the only thing that has helped me control it for now is a steroid called methoprednisolone or medrol dosepak and a cough syrup with codeine. I have RAD reactive airway sydrome which is a form of asthma but harder to detect because othter than the cough everything else is fine but it is debiltating and scary when the bronchospasms hit. My dr didn't even know what was wrong I asked for the meds because nothing else had worked . SVN tx alone did not help and you don't need an antibiotic without an infetion.. I hope you can find something to help..I know you are tired and worried.