Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Dry cough for 4 months

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Dry cough for 4 months

Some four months ago I (non smoker) had a virus /cold  infection and that cough  produced  yellow/ green mucus, this disappeared and a dry cough followed.  I went to doc and there was not infection and advised it will stop eventually.  However this cough has not disappeared  It gets worse for a few days then almost disappears for about 4-5 days and then returns again It i does not produce any mucus.  Having visited the doc again he has requested a X ray but the results won
There are several reasons for a cough that follows a viral infection.  The most common cause is an inflammation of the sinuses, sometimes an ongoing chronic infection.  It requires a CT scan of the sinuses to make this diagnosis.

A second common reason is that the virus triggered an irritability in the airways of the lungs that is expressed as a cough.  This is not necessarily asthma, but often looks like asthma with reactivity demonstrated in the small airways.  This is also fairly easy to diagnose using a spirometer to measure the flow in the airways.

These are two common reasons for a history as you present.
I have the exact same thing.  The doctor also gave me the same answer.  He thinks that it is just an inflammation in the airways which may go away at anytime.  He prescribed me a steroid inhaler which doesn't help that much.  I'm still trying to figure out a cure.  Does your body get cold and hot easily?  I have a feeling that my immune system isn't that good and that's the reason why I cough.  I'll keep you posted if I find an answer.
Ii have been out of the office for 4 days and it has eased up. The one thing changed is that for the first time the air conditioning has been activated and since returning the cough has returned. I am now going to investigate if it is a air conditioning allergy
I have the same thing...and noticed it was an AC problem--please tell me if you find out anything!
Ditto on the same problem. Mine will clear up over the weekend when I am not around air conditioning, but once I am in it again there's that stupid cough.
I have been told the same thing by my doctor, after giving several things to try...none work of course.
The only thing that has made a difference is Delysm. A nasty tasting cough suppresant that a pharmacist swears by.
I know the coughs a pain. And so is the on again off again sweating.
My friend is a nutritionist and has been VERY helpful in other ailments of mine. She is looking into some natural stuff for me...Hey I will try anything at this point.
If she finds out anything I will pass it along.
But she says that airconditoning IS a culprit, so that is not all in my head.

Kj
A related discussion, Natural Remidies for coughs after a throat infection was started.
A related discussion, 2 months of dry coughing, no relief was started.