Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Dry cough for over a month

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Dry cough for over a month
For over a month now, I've had a persistent dry cough.  I went to my GP and was given a x-ray but didn't find anything. I still have been persistently dry coughing. I never cough while asleep,and I feel great when I wake up.  But the cough and the sore chest usually start bothering me within a half hour after I get out of bed. When I cough, it is a strictly dry cough. I don't really know how to describe how my chest feels inside, it's like it feels a bit heavy and when I take deep breaths or cough, it feels sore. I am a 31 years old, and I have never smoked, I have no other symptoms.  No weight loss tho, no fever or anything out of the usual besides this damn cough.

I do have a problem with allergies, and post nazel drip.  My doctor has prescribed me with Nasonex, and it has helped with the nazel drip, but I still have the cough and sore chest.  Any help or advice anyone could provide me with would be great!

Chris
From what you have described, this is most likely not coming from your chest.  Postnasal drip is a very common cause of a chronic cough, as is chronic inflammation in the sinuses.  I would get a CT scan of the sinuses to see if that is the cause.  Nasonex® (mometasone) is a good idea.  It might be worth a short trial of oral steroids to see if the cough can be controlled in this manner.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker