Respiratory Disorders Community
Dry cough from tickle in throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Dry cough from tickle in throat

I have had this cough for 4 months now. The dr has changed my diagnosis everytime I go (which is frequent). The cough starts with a tickle in my throat, which makes me cough this loud obnoxious cough that feels and sounds "dry" but produces this sometimes thin, sometimes thick white/clear mucus. This happens all the time, day night whatever. The dr has changed my Bp medicine twice, both times waiting 3+ weeks, then it was antibiotics, then asthma, then allergies, then musenex and chest xrays, bloodwork and others... Has tried numerous cough medicines to help me sleep, which did nothing. This cough is unrelenting and is driving me crazy.I am always tired anymore and I feel like I am getting worse. Please if you have had this problem or know a suggestion let me know I am willing to do anything at this point.
That looks like the same list I had a couple of months ago

try gaviscon / similar anti heartburn stuff 3-4 times a day - it turned out I had acid reflux, that sorted it right out...
Mine is the same. The cough is driving me crazy. I went for so much tests and everything is clear. My x-rays as weel. the doctor says i am allargic to inhalants but his medicine doesnt help. I were on antibiotics, cortisone etc. nothing helps. its as if i am worsening. If you get help polease let me know
oh wow. i'm going through the exact same thing. i've been going through it for 3 weeks now. i was on antibiotics it did nothing. first they said bronchitis. but i know with bronchitis you're supposed to be coughing up lots of mucus. mine is dry. the only thing that comes up once in a while is clear stuff. not yellow or anything. just clear almost like spit. it starts with a tickle then i cough cause i wanna get it out and keep coughing and nothing happens. it feels like breathing is slightly more difficult when this happens. but when the doctor listens to my lungs and breathing he says its clear. i'm so confused. what can this be. have you got answers yet? are you over it? by the way i'm a 38 year old male smoker. and this started literarly overnight. one night i was out and got the tickle and its been like this ever since for over 3 weeks now. also the other weird thing is like 3 times it felt like it was going away and then boom back again the next day. please help if you have any answers
I'm going through the same thing...its been two months and can't find cure...just a non stopping cough..hate it...ruins my days...everyday living with this cough there has to be a reason for it...help
Has anyone found an answer? I have had a constant throat tickle in the upper part of the back of my throat w/dry cough for 3 months now.I have been to drs 4x. The ENT thought acid reflux at first, but meds didn't help. They tried antibiotics, too. It is driving me crazy. Like someone else mentioned, I literally woke up with this one day. I am at my wits end. Cough meds don't touch it, nothing helps. For the split second food goes down, it seems to feel better, anybody else like that?
BTW, I am an ex smoker, quit over a year ago. And it's not tonsils, tonsils were removed in childhood.
I get it each fall oct til march then it goes away.    and no ones knows what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xrays ct's all negative    go figure
I have had this tickle in my throat for months.  It is driving me insane and I cannot stand it anymore.  What causes it???  Why can't we get rid of it.  It comes in the same spot in my throat every time and I have it day and night.  I cough up loads of thick clear mucus and it seems to be sitting at the back of my throat.  I use dozens of tissues and sometimes feel like I am choking.  Help!  Has anybody got a cure??
I have this as well. Ginger tea, honey and lemon are the obvious solutions but inhalors seem to do nothing. It comes in the fall when the cold air is abrasive to the lungs. If anyone has anything else that might help... please.
i have had this for 3months now ,violent couhing, sometimes takes my breath away and i struggle breathing, had chest x rays 2 lots of antibiotics,i wake up in the night couhing mad getting me really down,starting weeing in my pants had to get tenna ladys, let me know if anyone can help ..please
Are any of you on Blood pressure medicines?   Ace Inhibitors can cause this.   If so, you need to get off that kind of medicine and on a different class of blood pressure medicines.
So, my mom has been sick for a couple weeks now actually more like a month or more. Something you all need to keep in mind that doctors don't often check for. Especially this time of year during cold and flu season. A PULMONARY EMBOLISM! Yes! A PE mimics a lot of the same symptoms as bronchitis. Coughing, shortness of breath, tightening and pain in the chest, even short term memory loss, anxiety, depression, dizzy, lightheadedness, sore muscles etc. My mom has been prescribed anti depressants, an inhaler, a Zpack (antibiotics) Musenex, and a ton of other meds with no improvement. Finally, she took herself into the ER this morning and the chest X-ray didn't reveal anything so they sent her for a CT scan. Low and behold she has some blood clots in her lung(s)! Her pulse O2 was down to 85. And with that low of a reading it usually means you are within minutes of death! She/we got lucky! So, next time you have that unproductive cough, and flu-like symptoms but nothing is working and your health is actually declining, ask your doctor to rule out a PE. Don't take no for an answer! I'm a Radiologic Technologist and have 6 years worth of medical training in a college institution and 20+ years working in the medical field. And as a side note, I've been telling my mom to go to the hospital the whole time but she is hardheaded and didn't listen. Had she of listened we may have been able to get her on the proper medication to break the blood clots before they reached the lungs.
It could be as simple as your sinuses dripping down the back of your throat and in your lungs.  I just had a CT Scan and found that I have Pleurisy.  It doesn't seem to be getting better so I guess the next thing is to determine if it is coming from an infection.  This could be serious, but of course I am hoping that this too shall pass.
Did you ever find out what it was or find a cure?  I get it in August and it goes away in Frebruary/March.
I have the same thing and mine turns out to be blood pressure medicine. ramipril to be exact is the culprit behind my cough, aches.  
I have had this problem for, not kidding you, four YEARS!  I've tried it all.  Nothing works.  I got tired of throwing my money away on doctors and tests with no answers.  I finally just learned to live with it.  I can't say I'm used to it, but I manage.  
I'm just the same. I've had an intermittent cough for years now. Originally I had a chest infection (as did my mum) after working in an area with some sort of airborne pathogens. We both were in the same environment, both had a chest infection and both have had a tickly, on/off dry cough ever since. My mum was told it is post nasal drip, but any medication has not relieved it. I can go for days without coughing and then it just starts for no apparent reason, day or night, while exercising or sitting quietly, while eating or drinking, talking or not. Once it starts it seems to take ages to feel "normal" again with tickling and coughing throughout the day. It seems to be in my trachea area. I have had tracheaitis as has my mum in the past too. I'm totally fed up with it hence surfing the net to see if I can come up with a cure or something that helps. Good luck with your cough. Hope it goes soon!!
Fellow sufferer