Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Dry nose and sinusitis???

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Dry nose and sinusitis???

A month ago I had a cold which led to short period of sore throat followed by dizziness, head aches, painful eyes, hot nose BUT DRY, pressure in the head and lot of discharge at the back of my throat. I was diagnosed with sinisitis.The Dr prescribed Amoxicillin (500mg 3 a day for 5 days) which didn't help. Then I had to take Doxycycline(100mg 1 a day, for 8 days)that also didn't help, I was then put on Beclomethasone Diproipionate Aqueous nasal spray(2 puffs in each nostril) which didn't help either. The next thing I was given was Erythromycin Stearats(500mg 2 a day for 5 days)However before I started taking them, I had severe attack of dizziness, it was so bad that I had to be taken to hospital. The doctor there confirm the sinusitis and gave me  Co-Amoxicillin with Clavulanatet(375mg 3 a day for 7 days) My dizziness, the pressure in the nose (dry) plus discharges going  down my troath.
Can you suggest which one of the antibiotic is better to take as I am very confused with the varieties I have been given.  Thank you in advance  
Sinusitis is an inflammation, or swelling, of the mucous membranes that line the sinus cavities.  Inflammation of the sinuses could be due to an allergy, an infection like the cold you had a month ago, or ongoing exposure to an irritant, such as pollution or smoke.  Symptoms can include a headache or pressure in the area of the sinuses, dizziness, sore throat, and discharge at the back of your throat called postnasal drip.

The most common cause of sinusitis is an infection, especially when the mucus is green.  Sinus infections can be difficult to treat since they respond slowly.  However if a viral infection is the cause it
At this point I would probably go see an Ear,Nose,Throat specialist.  I am not familiar with all of the antibiotics you listed but just about the only thing that works for me are quinolones (e.g., Levaquin). It's my understanding that these are especially penetrating for sinus infections.
u guys should do nasal wash using a neti pot this well help thin the mucous, open blocked nasal passage. using 8oz of warm water, 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt/kosher salt (NOT table salt or salt you use for cooking), 1/4 of baking soda, mix together and use 4oz of the mixture per nostril.  temperature of water effects the cleansing, make sure its luke or at least warmer to the hot side then cold side, cool water makes the process sting or give uncomfortable feel, of course too hot is not good either. u can test by putting a few drops on the inside of your lower arm to test the temperature.