Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Dye from pink yogurt or blood?!

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Dye from pink yogurt or blood?!

So I have not been to a doctor in years and I found this site frantically trying to find out online if what happened to me earlier is morning is really bad or just a minor thing.
I was attempting to fall asleep around 6AM this morning and felt funny. Like I have dealt with breathing episodes before so the sudden of my heart feeling like it was "skipping" was not alien to me. Well I sat up and figured why not use the restroom. Well I get a tickle in my throat and I cough and look into tissue I had used and pink and clear saliva was before me. Well from past experience I have had coughs where the saliva was just food coloring from what I ate prior. Well this time I am slightly nervous because just like the title, the yogurt was pink I had eaten a few hours before that, so what I am asking is, can the dye from the yogurt be in my saliva still after 3 hours? Or have I began to literally cough up a lung. Oh and I tried coughing again, saliva is clear.
You have provided the most likely explanation, that this was yogurt that lodged somewhere in your mouth or throat (tonsils a common site.  Food particles can remain in these sites for 4-8 hours.  It would be wise to vigorously rinse your mouth and gargle.  If the “pink” recurs after all that with no recent ingestion of anything that color, then that would be cause for alarm.

Good luck