RESPIRATORY DISORDERS
FORUM
E cigarettes producing phlegm.
by sky000123, Nov 24, 2012
Hi I do have Asthma and smoke tobacco cigarettes. I have no problems with that as far as breathing goes..I recently deceided to try E Cigarettes which contain nicotene but none of the chemicals in cigs..So they are advertised as a healther option..They day i smoked the e cigarette with juice containing Propylene Gycol, Vegetable Glycerin, water,Nicotine and Citric acid.. The E cigarette caused that much Phlegm (which i never had before) It effected my breathing that much it made me sick and i am still trying to get rid of the phlegm 4 days later..I have managed to get rid of most of it but still dont feel as well as i did before smoking the E cig..My Questions are  The phlegm that the e cigarette produced..Why did that happen? is the phlem a sign that these e cigarettes are bad for you.?.Does it go away when you get used of it..? I dont think i could stomack another one again, but will have another try only cause they are advertised as safer than normal cigs.. many Thanks for your Advice. Cheers. Sky.
Answer:
by David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank, Dec 03, 2012
Your raising increased amounts of phlegm, seemingly related to your use of an E-cigarette is not necessarily an indication that these cigarettes "are bad for you".  They may have just stimulated the raising of phlegm that was in your lungs but not being coughed up.  

Here is a statement from the Federal Drug Administration.  You might want to visit their  website at:  http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/publichealthfocus/ucm172906.htm  
Electronic Cigarettes (e-Cigarettes)
What are electronic cigarettes?
Electronic cigarettes, also known as e-cigarettes, are battery-operated products designed to deliver nicotine, flavor and other chemicals.  They turn nicotine, which is highly addictive, and other chemicals into a vapor that is inhaled by the user.

Most e-cigarettes are manufactured to look like conventional cigarettes, cigars, or pipes. Some resemble everyday items such as pens and USB memory sticks.
As the safety and efficacy of e-cigarettes have not been fully studied, consumers of e-cigarette products currently have no way of knowing:

• whether e-cigarettes are safe for their intended use,
• how much nicotine or other potentially harmful chemicals are being inhaled during use, or
• if there are any benefits associated with using these products.
Additionally, it is not known if e-cigarettes may lead young people to try other tobacco products, including conventional cigarettes, which are known to cause disease and lead to premature death.
Member Comments (1)