Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Emphysema and Muscle Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Emphysema and Muscle Pain

I was recently diagnosed with Emphysema. O2 Sats run in the mid 90's during the day. Nighttime check while sleeping showed results in mid to upper 80's at night only 9% of the time. So, no O2 and I did quit smoking. I'm having muscle pain in legs, from toes to buttocks, and in arms, fingertips to shoulders, tho are almost worse than the mild SOB I have. The pain is almost a burning sensation with cramps like charley horses in the calves. Also have weakness in the knees and hips, nearly causing me to fall at times when walking. Doc says it is a result of O2 levels. Muscle pain didn't start until I was put on a Statin Drug, which has been discontinued. Can this pain and the Emphysema be related or is something else going on, also?
It is highly unlikely that your pain, burning sensation, cramps and weakness are a consequence of low oxygen levels.  It is much more likely that these symptoms were related to muscle toxicity from the statin drug you took, even though it has been discontinued.  While relatively uncommon, statins can cause inflammation of muscle and, in rare cases, muscle destruction.  You should ask your doctor to evaluate your muscles for this condition.

But we should not assume that the muscle pain and weakness are definitely secondary to the statins.  There are other medical conditions, unrelated to statins and low oxygen levels that can cause the symptoms you describe.  These include but are not limited to nerve diseases, such as peripheral neuropathy and spinal cord compression.  If the problem is not primarily in muscle, you may want to seek evaluation by a neurologist.
In regards to your muscle pain and weakness ... you don't say how long ago the statin was discontinued. In my case it took nearly 6 weeks before the horrible cramping went away after I stopped taking the statins.
I've been off the statin drug for at least 6 weeks now and was only on it for 3 - 4 weeks.  I don't know if this is the source of the pain. But I don't know how  my O2 levels can be doing this... especially when they aren't really that low.  
A related discussion, emphysema was started.
A related discussion, Emphyema Concerns was started.