Respiratory Disorders Community
Enlarged Lymph Nodes in Neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Enlarged Lymph Nodes in Neck

my mother is 86 years old and has recently noticed a swollen lymph node on the right side of her neck.  Her physician treated with penicillin for two weeks and which time the node reduced temporarily but returned to its original size after a few weeks.  Because of a concern for lymphoma the doctor suggested a CT Scan which showed more enlarged lymph nodes in neck.  I hesitate to have them biopsied to find their origin because of my mother's age and general overall health being poor.  She has had COPD with chronic brochitis for serveral years, along with heart disease, and servere oestoarthritis.  In addition my mother's emotional well being is of great concern because we do not believe she would handle a diagnosis os cancer well.  I do realize that she could have metastic cancer in those nodes also.  My question is could the lymph nodes be enlarged due to a chronic infection in her lungs from the COPD and bronchitis?  I forgot to ask this question when at her last appointment.  She takes Doxycycline once a day every saturday and sunday because she was getting low grade infections and fevers often.  This seems to have corrected that problem over the past year and a half.  Any information or advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!