Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Excess Phlegm

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Excess Phlegm

For some six weeks now I have experienced excess phlegm  which slides  down  the back of my throatinto my lungs . As a result of this, I am continously coughing in order to clear my chest   The Muscus is from my sinus and even though I have used "salt water" sprays,,,"Superfed tablets ..and Betnasol  Drops as recommended by an ENT specialist and sprays  I do not seem to get any relief at all. Tere is a contious "Salt sate" in my mouth which I presume originates from the mucas..
Postnasal drip is drainage from the nose and sinuses dripping down the back of the throat.  There could be several reasons for this drainage.  One reason is an allergy.  A second reason is a non-allergic, non-infectious inflammation in the sinuses that can linger after a cold.  A third reason is chronic sinusitis.  Postnasal drip can cause coughing as a result of irritation of the throat and lungs.  You may experience the postnasal drip as excess phlegm, which slides down the back of your throat and into your lungs.  Typically this is worse at night when you lay down to sleep.  Generally this irritation feels the worst when you wake up and gets better as the day goes on.

The fat content in dairy products can thicken mucus.  Generally eating dairy products with less fat content is helpful.  Drinking plenty of water will help to thin the mucus so that it moves more easily.  As long as you are not on a fluid restriction you should be drinking 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of non-caffeine non-alcoholic fluid daily.

An antihistamine can dry up the postnasal drip.  However, it may make the mucus thicker and more difficult to move.  A decongestant like Sudafed
Thank you for your  suggestions which essentially were those as prescribed to me by my ENT specialist here in Dublin..
I was advised to try "acupuncture" and have had two sessions to date..They  seem to be workiing...my cough seems to be less intense..and there is less mucus flowing from my sinuses into my throat..and the salty taste in my mouth is not so prominent....
Will have another session next week and will advise my progress.
Its now been some two months since I experienced the constant post-nasal drip and constant phlegn as a result of which what explained to me as a "sinus problem" ? ?

..As mentioned in my last posting, I tried acupunture..but the relief was only temporary....
.
However I remembered that in my youth when I was subjected to a "Sinus problem" my grandmother made me sit over a steaming bowl of hot water into which a few drops of "friars Balsom" were placed..she  then covered my head with a towel..Apparently it worked because since that time- I've  had had no reoccurance of Sinusitis (50 odd years

Last night I tried the method and for the first time in two months I slept through the night without coughing nor expectorating phlegm ..and today, I've been phlegm free....the first time since Late October.
I'll keep using the technique for a few days until I'm sure the problem has passed...   If you don't find another thread response on this particular theme ..I'm either cured...or DEAD...

)

Wanted to know if anyone has ever had coughs associated with being hot. I've had a horrible cough, similar to a smokers' hack since I was a child. Once diagnosed with Bronchial Asthma and that was the extent of that. Now whenever I get colds, they always end up as of sinus colds ending with a few weeks of post nasal drips from clear liquid to thick yellow mucus. I got full blown pnuemonia (pneumonia) in both lungs in Novemeber and now I'm worried about relapses. I have lots of excess phlegm, mainly at night accompanied by coughing to the point of gagging. What could this be?
MY 9 YR OLD DAUGHTER DEVELOPED THAT COUGH LAST NOV AND HAS AND LASTED UNTILL JAN.COUGHED SO MUCH THE WHITES OF HER EYES TURNED RED,SHE ALSO HAD EXCESSIVE MUCUS,NOW SHE HAS IT AGAIN,HER SINUS INFECTIONS NEVER GOT LIKE THESE BEFORE,BEEN ON ANTIBIOTICS,STEROIDS,INHALERS,IT JUST KEEPS HANGING ON,HAD A CT,SHOWED POYLOP/CIST ON LEFT SINUS BUT ENT SAID SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM,SHE HAS SO MUCH MUCUS SHE CHOKES ON IT AND ITS SCARY SOMETIMES,ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE???
A related discussion, mucus was started.
A related discussion, cough w excessive phelm was started.