Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Excessive mucus in throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Excessive mucus in throat

I have been bothered with excessive mucus clogging my throat for four years now.Every other minute or so I'm coughing up clear mucus and sometimes it's mixed with blood.My doctor has diagnosed me with acid reflux desease.I really don't think that's the problem because my husband has acid reflux desease and he's always complaining about how the acid is burning his esaphagus.I'm not experiencing that sympton.And besides, my doctor has prescribed zantac and I'm still having the symptoms.What type of medical condition do I have?
This could be reflux but it could also be some type of respiratory disease, especially of the nose and sinuses.  It could also be a tumor in the hypopharynx (posterior to the nose).  These tumors can be notoriously "silent" for a long time.  You should see an ENT doctor to have a thorough exam of your nose, throat and sinuses.  He would probably also order a CT of your sinuses.

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is the back flow of stomach contents, including digestive juices, into the esophagus or food tube.  This is most commonly called acid reflux or heartburn.  GERD can cause the following symptoms:
My mother has had GERD for years. Zantac was never strong enough for her. She started out with Prilosec, and is now on Nexium (the purple pill :-)). She also sleeps with the head of her bed elevated. Her first symptoms were inability to easily swallow. The scoping showed extreme narrowing of her esophagus. She used to have to get reamed out yearly until the advent of Prilosec. She hasn't had to have that done now for at least ten years. If you are coughing up blood, this is NOT a good sign. Have you had a scoping by a GI doc? If not, I would insist on one to put this matter to rest once and for all. Acid eating at your esophagus for years can eventually change the cells and put you at risk for cancer in a small number of GERD cases (Barrett's esophagus).

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/barretts/

Check out these other websites for more information.

http://www.gerd.com/

http://www.diagnosishealth.com/gerd.htm

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gerd/

GERD doesn't necessarily present the same in everyone. My husband is also on Nexium for GERD but he has a hiatal hernia and never had the swallowing problems my mother had. His esophagus has some cell changes, however, so they want to have him scoped again in a year or so. He has a history of heartburn. Zantac never helped him a lot, either.

Good luck. Don't put off a scoping any longer.

HI,THIS SOUNDS ALOT LIKE WHAT MY 9 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER HAS HAD FOR ABOUT 5 MONTHS NOW,IN JULY LAST YEAR SHE HAD HER TONCILS AND ADNOIDS REMOVED,IN NOVEMBER SHE GOT SICK,COLD,SINUS INFECTION BUT IT LASTED UNTILL JANUARY AND GOT BAD,SHE COUGHED AND SPIT UP SO MUCH PHELGM THE WHITES OF HER TURNED RED FROM BROKEN VESSELS,SHE BECAME DEHYDRATED AND PUT IN HOSPITAL FOR IVS,SHE HAS A LITTLE ASTHMA SO THEY SAY BUT ALLERGY TEST CAME OUT FINE,SEEN AN ENT,HE SAID SHE WAS HAVING BAD SINUSITES,DONE A CATSCAN SAID IT LOOKED FINE BUT SHE DID HAVE A CIST/POLYOP ON HER LEFT SINUS BUT THAT WOULDNT BE A PROBLEM,NOONE, EVEN HER REGULAR DR,CANT SEEM TO GIVE ME A STRAIGHT ANSWER,HER ASTHMA DR EVEN SUGGESTED A TEST FOR CYCTIC FIBROYSIS AND MAYBE SEE A STOMACH DR.IM TRYING TO FIND SOME DIFFERNT DRS, FOR A SECOND OPION,SOMETHING ISNT RIGHT,SHE NEVER USE TO COUGH AND SPIT EXCESSIVE AMOUNTS OF MUSCUS UP,MAY GET BETTER ABOUT A WEEK OR SO AND HERE WE GO AGAIN,ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVISE???
Does your daughter eat a lot of sugar or maybe dairy?
HAS ANYONE WITH SARCOIDOSIS DIEASE EVER HAD PLASTIC SURGERY. IF YES PLEASE REPLY! N
Why would you post that question under this thread? You may want to start a new thread....
hi,no she dont eat much sugar or milk-finally she was admitted in a great childrens hospital at lebonheur in memphis,stayed 2 weeks,even those doctors scratched their heads a little but they are some of the best,shes got gerd(acid refux)esophagitis(infection of esophagus)sinsus disease(chronic sinusites),all them together is terrible,all those other drs i took her to was treating her for asthma and a cold and giving her steroids which is one of the main reason her esophagus is in bad shape,she doesnt even have asthma come to find out,so shes doind alot better,they were great to us,they done a lung scope,upper and lower gi,catscan,bloodwork even checked for cyctic fibrosis and tb and pertussis,just need to find the right doctors-thanks
I am really glad to hear that it's all being sorted out. I am also a mother, of a 2 year old, and it's just not nice not being able to help our children or get someone to do the right thing. So, great for you for finally having found the right place! Good Luck!
THANKS AND I HOPE YOU ALL FIND THE ANSWERS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR,ALL IT TAKES IS GOOD DOCTORS THAT ARE WILLING TO HELP AND NOT THE ONES THAT JUST WANT TO GIVE YOU UNECCESARY MEDS AND SEND YOU ON YOUR WAY,GOD BLESS TO ALL
Hello everyone. I have recently developed a throat condition called a pharylangal pouch. My consultant tells me that it is not big enough to  correct by stapling proceedure. I consequently suffer from excess mucus production in my throat.
I wonder if anyone can offer advice.   haroldclarinet
A related discussion, Mucus was started.
A related discussion, Excessive Mucus was started.
A related discussion, throat was started.
A related discussion, pharyngeal pouch? was started.