Respiratory Disorders Community
Excessive post nasal drip caused by candida?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Almost 2 years ago I had a bad cold and sinus infection, so I was treated with antibiotics. Ever since then I have had severe, excessive post nasal drip, giving me the constant urge to clear my throat. I tried many otc remedies, but nothing worked. I saw my ENT and he tried several meds, then I was allergy tested, finding I am allergic to dust and dust mites. I took measures to reduce much of the dust in my house, put matress and pillow covers, etc. I am currently taking flonaise, mucinex, zurtec, and using the neti pot, but still having bouts of really excessive phlem in the back of my throat.  I did seem to notice that it became worse after I veered away from my normal low-carb diet.  Then I found information on candida overgrowth and symptoms, and began to think this was my problem, since I had quite a few of the other symptoms as well.  I recently started following (somewhat) the candida diet, taking probiotics, and some natural antifungals, using the neti pot with a drop or two of tea tree oil mixed in the solution, and I must say I am feeling soooo much better!   Could candida overgrowth really be my problem?

This discussion is related to Cure for constant Post Nasal Drip and throat clearing.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Excessive use of antibiotics or steroid inhalers can promote candida overgrowth and infection. It depends on where the infection is, this causes likely symptoms. And if you are allergic to this infection, it could be the cause for your post nasal drip.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.