Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Exposure to Toxin (Rat Droppings)

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Exposure to Toxin (Rat Droppings)

I have heard of a disease that is contracted by inhaling the dust from rat droppings, but I can't find any information on it.  Can anyone help?  My daughter (6 yrs old) was exposed to this last weekend and is gradually getting sicker and sicker.  The docs here think I've lost my mind, but I know there is a disease caused by inhaling the dust from rat droppings, it's rare and uncommon, but it does exist.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thank you.
There are many diseases that can be caused by rats.  Salmonella can come from rat droppings.  The plague can come from ticks that live on rats.  Mice can carry the hantavirus.  If your daughter is getting sicker, an infectious disease specialist should see her.
Have you tried contacting your local poison control center? May be they can help you or give you some where to go.
There are several baddies that can be gotten from rat droppings.
Hanta virus for one, was a problem on indian reservations in the four corners area a few years ago.

One of the others is a fungal disease called histoplasmosis (probably not spelled that way.) Histo is a real baddie and hard diagnose from what I have seen, however I think they have some new reaction markers for it, the lab mixes the culture with the marker and it lights up in spots or turns a certain color or some other indication that indicates weather the histo is positive,.
A related discussion, infections from rats was started.
A related discussion, How to do you get rid of mites was started.