Respiratory Disorders Community
Extreme back pain in COPD patient

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Extreme back pain in COPD patient

My mother has had COPD for almost 15 years now and is in the final stages of the disease.  But we aren't sure why she has so much pain in her back.  It doesn't stay in one area, it seems to move around, mostly right up the middle of her back.  Is this her lungs causing this pain?  She refuses to have hospice come in, (because she doesn't like strangers in her house) so the doctor has her on percocet, but it isn't touching the pain.  As one of the caregivers, I am just curious if this means she is very close to the end.  She has been turning her oxygen level up to 5, having the air turned down to 70, and needs a fan blowing on her.  The doctor has told her she can increase her predisone to 50 mg., she is on 40 mg. now.
That could be osteoprosis that is causing so much back pain.  If she is bed ridden it could be her back getting weak.  I have emphysema and I also have a lot of back pain but I have Osteo Arthritis and it hurts like the devil and in the same places your Mother's does.  It is all over the place. The only thing I take is Ibprophen 800 3 or 4 times a day.  There is not much that will take away the pain unless they put her on a morophine drip.  I am not a medical professional but I was the care giver for both my parents.  I don't blame her I wouldn't want strangers in my home either, we do not know nor do the Doctors know when the end will be.  If she is still lucid and knows what's going on she may have more time than you think.  Remember that God doesn't put any more on us than we can handle.  I hope this has helped you in some way and that you and you mother have a great relaionship even when the end comes.
It sounds as if our mothers are going through the same thing. My mother also has to have a fan. We have Central Air, she has an air conditioner in her room and has a fan plus oxygen. She is freezing me out.
I guess I would like to ask you if you knew what the final stage is? I don't know if the doctor meant my mom was in the last stages when he said the damage had been done and there was nothing else we could do. I sure need someone to talk to.
My brother is an alcoholic, of course dealing with his own problems and my sister suffers real bad from Epilepsy and lives in Arizona so I am kinda stuck here. Full of questions, care and concerns. I hope to hear from you soon.
Your Friend,
Wanda Sloan
Knoxville, TN.