Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
FEV1 and lung volume levels..
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

FEV1 and lung volume levels..

Hello, I am a 55 yr. old female who was recently diagnosed with asthma and COPD at an asthma and allergy center. I smoked for many years but quit 6 years ago and never touched another one! I had increasing SOB when walking at a "normal" pace for very long, had difficulty getting over bouts of bronchitis, ect.  I am overweight and attributed most of the SOB to that.  When I finally got to the asthma center they quickly found out my lung volume was down to 48% and my FEV1 was 32.  They put me on oral steroids, Advair 500/50 , Spiriva and told to use the Proventil inhaler as needed. In about two months time the coughing has stopped, and I am doing much better generally.  I am off the oral steriods and dropped down to Advair 250. My lung volume is up to 63% and the FEV1 is now 41.  I still don't know what all this means..do I have moderate or severe COPD? They also did the blood test which was neg. for alfa 1...I have tried to research this on the internet but still am confused.  Thanks for being here for additional information...this forum was invaluable during my husbands surgery 3 years ago for an ascending aortic aneurysm surgery!  Thanks again...
OB