Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
FIBERGLASS INSULATION EXPOSURE

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

FIBERGLASS INSULATION EXPOSURE

AFTER THE HURRICANES WE CUT OUT AND REMOVED VARIOUS AREAS IN THE CEILING AND THE WALLS DUE TO MOLD GROWTH.  WE COVERED THE AREAS WITH PLASTIC AND TAPE WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE LAUNDRY ROOM CEILING WHICH WAS COVERED BUT AN AREA WAS CUT OUT FOR THE AIR TO COME THROUGH FROM THE AIR CONDITIONING VENT.  IT REMAINED THIS WAY FOR A LITTLE OVER A YEAR.  WE NEVER HAD ANY SYMPTOMS OR PROBLEMS BECAUSE OF THIS BUT LATELY I AM WORRIED THAT WHEN THE AIR PASSED OUT OF THE A/C VENT POSSIBLY SMALL FIBERGLASS FIBERS WERE CARRIED WITH IT AND THEN INFILTRATED THE REST OF THE HOUSE.  I WORRY FOR MY TWO CHILDREN AND THE POSSIBLE LONG TERM EFFECTS OF THIS POTENTIAL EXPOSURE.
I wouldn't worry about this fiberglass insulation exposure.  These fibers are tightly packed.  Even if they were not, and escaped into the space of your home, the number of fibers inhaled would be insignificant.  The greater risk is from the mold that could cause a variety of lung diseases, including but not limited to asthma.
Well, it can't be good for you, but I installed the stuff forty five years ago and inhaled it, exhaled it, came home with it come out of my eyes, and never suffered any problems.