Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Fear of COPD,Respiratory diseases

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Fear of COPD,Respiratory diseases

Im a 21 year old male.I had a respiratory infection of the lungs few months back which too a long time to go.It was accompanied by breathlessness and chest pain. PFT was done and it gave following readings:
FEV1 : 87%
FVC : 102%
FEV1/FVC : 74%
Along with that Chest X-ray,Chest CT Scan were done which came absolutely normal.
The infection went away with antiobiotics but breathlessness,headaches and chest pain kept on worsening for the past 2 months.
I went to the doc again few days back and he asked for another PFT.
FEV1 : 98%
FVC : 103%
FEV1/FVC : 86%
The weird thing was i couldnt exhale fully for 6 seconds on spirometer even after trying repeatedly but the doc still went ahead with the same readings and told me not to worry and that im hyperallergic that's all.Im not taking any medications currently but feel my condition worsening day by day.I wanted to ask whether such a thing was common and indeed my PFT was normal?Also should i stop worrying about COPD and other respiratory diseases although my breathlessness doesn't seem to go?
Also im suffering frm severe anxiety and only think about my problem and nothing else.Also history of sinusitis and mucus secretions.
I smoked for around a year(around once/twice a week) but havent touched it since the infection took place.
Your PFT results are within normal limits but that does not exclude asthma or a vocal cord problem as possible causes of your shortness of breath.  It is very good news that your chest X-ray and CT Scan are clear/normal but that could also be the case with either of the two previously mentioned causes.  The combination of test results, PFT’s and X-rays, indicate that you do not have COPD that, in any case, would be rare at your age, or for that matter any other serious lung condition.  If the two conditions I mention are found to not be present, then anxiety is the most likely cause of your shortness of breath and that would be aggravated if you are a person who does not exercise regularly.  

So much for your lungs.  It would also be important for your doctors to be sure that your heart is working properly, including being sure that you are not having any abnormal heart rhythms.

Good luck