Respiratory Disorders Community
Feeling of Swollen Nasal Passages
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Feeling of Swollen Nasal Passages

Hi to everyone,

Occasionally I get this sensation of my nasal passages swelling up, to the point to where my nasal breathing is constricted by a fair amount. It seems to come and go on its own, and I don't have a runny nose, no congestion or blockage. I am not sure if it is just allergies, the last time I had a stuffy nose from allergies was years ago, probably about eight or more years. When it happens, it usually lasts for maybe a minute or so at most, and it occurs infrequently throughout the day, some days I don't get it at all.

Any idea what this is or what I might do about it? If it is allergies, I'll have to figure out what is causing it.

Thanks in advance.
Blank
612551_tn?1247839157
I have nasal congestion problems most of the year, so if it is an allergy for me it must be season independent, or I have several allergies...I have never been tested for allergies.

My problem is usually at night, but it sometimes comes on when I am just sitting and not doing much physical, like watching TV or on my notebook, like now..  I find nose sprays like the popular 12 hour don't use all the time, work very well, thus I conclude my nasal membranes are swollen from some stimulant.  I also have prescription nose spray and while it helps it doesn't work as well as the over the counter Afirin or similar.

A side effect I get is dry mouth, so dry that it burns in the morning if I have tried to sleep without using anything to shrink the nasal membranes.

All of the above is accompanied with a bit of trouble breathing at all, which makes me wonder about lung heath.  Yes, I get an annual physical and pass lung capacity tests and oxygen in the blood tests, go figure.

You describe short term congestion, that is a new one on me.  
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
612551_tn?1247839157
I have nasal congestion problems most of the year, so if it is an allergy for me it must be season independent, or I have several allergies...I have never been tested for allergies.

My problem is usually at night, but it sometimes comes on when I am just sitting and not doing much physical, like watching TV or on my notebook, like now..  I find nose sprays like the popular 12 hour don't use all the time, work very well, thus I conclude my nasal membranes are swollen from some stimulant.  I also have prescription nose spray and while it helps it doesn't work as well as the over the counter Afirin or similar.

A side effect I get is dry mouth, so dry that it burns in the morning if I have tried to sleep without using anything to shrink the nasal membranes.

All of the above is accompanied with a bit of trouble breathing at all, which makes me wonder about lung heath.  Yes, I get an annual physical and pass lung capacity tests and oxygen in the blood tests, go figure.

You describe short term congestion, that is a new one on me.  
Blank
3455166_tn?1347510733
Thanks for your reply sir, I appreciate it.

LOL, you know what it was I think, it was the beginning of a common cold. About four or five days after I was experiencing the swelling, I came down with a runny nose, nasal congestion, sore throat and a cough. It only lasted a few days and now I don't have the swelling.

I suppose mine could also have something to do with allergies, the last time I had bad allergies was about seven or more years ago like I said and haven't had any since then.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Respiratory Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...