RESPIRATORY DISORDERS
COMMUNITY
Fiberglass inhalation
Avatar_n_tn
by dogooder24, Mar 19, 2013
Hi.

I was exposed to fiberglass as well when it fell out of the ceiling. I inhaled it and since then I have been sensitive to smoke and car fumes. I also keep feeling like something is stuck in my throat and have throat pain which increases when i speak as well as trouble breathing.  I feel the restriction in my chest when i walk, like a tightness. It get worse when it rains. I went to a pulmonologist who is now refering me to a cardiologist. I couldnt find any test that would show fiberglass. I have had MRI and CT scans as well as ultrasounds. The ultrasound showed swelling around the throat area.I had been referred for a doplar ultrasound. My throat has been teste and no pathogens found, not bacteria or virus but they didnt test for debris. I have used a lot of natural remedies and well as inhalers and other medications. I there a test that would sample the debris in my throat. .


This discussion is related to I inhaled Fiberglass Insulation -- Please Help!.
Member Comments (24)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Paderla Anitha, DNB Blank, Mar 20, 2013
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Fiberglass is a silicate fiber and can reduce lung function and cause inflammation. It can also cause skin, eye and throat irritation. At higher exposure levels, fiberglass also has been associated with skin rashes and difficulty in breathing. Was the lung function tests normal?

Fiberglass emits a synthetic material called styrene, which is a possible carcinogenic. Styrene and its breakdown products can be measured in your blood, urine, and body tissues. Styrene leaves your body quickly. If you are tested within one day, the actual amount of exposure can be estimated. However, it is difficult to predict the kind of health effects that might develop from that exposure.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_n_tn
by dogooder24, Mar 21, 2013
Thank you for that information. The breathing test did show reduced lung funtion. I would like to know of case studies or real life cases of how people treated this condition and how living with it long term affected their lives.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Paderla Anitha, DNB Blank, Mar 25, 2013
Hello and hope you are doing well.

To begin with it is mostly prevention. Always wear a dust mask in areas where exposure is likely, to help avoid inhaling glass fibers. The damage which has already been done will be there. Treatment is usually symptomatic. Antibiotics for infections and bronchodilators for bronchospasm. And of course avoidance of smoking to prevent further damage to the lungs. To improve lung function practice breathing exercises.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_n_tn
by dogooder24, Mar 28, 2013
The exposure was done without warning. Several people were affected. Many reporting same or similar symptoms. I was/am on antibiotics, nasal sprays, inhalers, steroids and other drugs to the point that I developed edema and acid reflux. I never smoked in my life and never liked how it smelled but now it affects me to the point of feeling like air was sucked out of my lungs, loosing my breath and feeling faint, just by someone passing by.

I did find some information,

Health hazards associated with moldy fiberglass in buildings, with focus on fiberglass insulation, fiberglass fragments, fiberglass in heating and air conditioning duct work, and invisible but toxic mold growth in fiberglass which has been wet, exposed to high humidity, or exposed to other moldy conditions. Small glass fiber fragments are easily "lost" in other non-fungal granular debris in building dust. Level of airborne fiberglass in buildings may be faulty if the methods used to screen for fiberglass fragments do not include small, even sub-micron particles along with the common large particles.Fiberglass fragments are inorganic material typically from fiberglass insulation; depending on their size and quantity these may be a respiratory irritant or may contribute to more serious health concerns. It is possible that small fiberglass particles in air may constitute a meaningful health risk which has not been explored.
Avatar_n_tn
by dogooder24, Mar 28, 2013
There are conflicting reports on breathing exercises and breathing deeply if there are fiberglass particles lodged in the lungs or throat. Since the particles don't pass out of the body as the whole fragments, it may cause the particles to get lodged deeper into the lung tissue and cause other issues. I guess the hope is that the particles would migrate safely into the blood stream and not get lodged where it could cause clots, cysts or cancer.
Avatar_n_tn
by dogooder24, Mar 28, 2013
Also fiberglass is glass fibers and they cut. I wonder if some of the sensitivity is capillaries or veins being exposed or cut by the lodged particles creating a direct path for infections into the blood stream. Many people reported have to increase hand washing and having to be very particular with what they eat because eating any thing not fully cooked or slightly contaminated creates an immediate sore throat in addition to the existing throat pains.
Avatar_n_tn
by dogooder24, Jul 05, 2013
Common symptoms of fiberglass overdose
•persistent, dry, hacking "barking" cough
•sore throat, bloody taste in throat or blood in sputum
•bloody nose
•persistent, occasionally very severe, sinusitis and rhinitis which does not respond to common medical treatment,
•especially treatment for allergies,
•persistent, occasionally severe respiratory infections which, again, do not respond to common medical treatment,
•headaches, nausea, dizziness, insomnia, irritability, depression,
•asthma-like breathing attacks or constant wheezing,
•other allergy-like symptoms (which do not respond to allergy treatment),
•"reactive airway disease,"
•swollen, red, watery, infected eyes,
•skin infections, ranging from mild to very severe, requiring hospitalization,
•extreme sensitivity to everyday amounts of ambient pollutants, especially: cigarette smoke, car exhaust, perfumes and colognes, some cleaning products, paints and varnishes, new paneling, cabinetry or furniture made with particle board or strand board, new cars and other new plastic, foams used for furniture and bedding, new carpeting.
Avatar_m_tn
by bangecon, Aug 26, 2013
Just out of curiosity, are you feeling better. I may have a similar problem, and am curious to know if you were treated and are feeling better, if time eventually worked it out of your system or if it has continued to be a nuisance.
4851940_tn?1385441629
by jemma116, Aug 26, 2013
Fibreglass is an irritant, but the way the fibres break up, they cannot get lodged into the Alveoli.  So in time technically, they should be coughed up.

It is the chemicals used to make the fibreglass that causes the irritations.