Respiratory Disorders Community
Flu C-pap

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Flu C-pap

My c-pap machine is aggravating my flu, which I can't get over, I'm in my 3rd week. I am literally drowning from my drippy nose, constant sneezing and burning, watering eyes. This happens about 5 times a year, with no flu involved, it lasts about two to three weeks,  since I have had this machine. (4 years) My episodes occur average 14 times an hour so I am still in the mild range, 15 being moderate. I have slept miserably all of this time, and I get up in the mornings worn out. Now the flu seems to have activated all the before mentioned symptoms and nothing goes away.
I understand to keep the water out of the nose cushion you must keep room temp and water temp. the same to avoid condensation, it doesn't help, I sleep in a cool room, so my nose and face are cold and wet all night. I have been sleeping fitfully during the flu and off the machine comes, I often can not stand it to touch my sore nose. One night I made the decision to sleep without it and I slept for 91/2 hours, unheard of!
I can not go like this thinking of giving up C-pap. I am a woman and will be 76 years old next month. Life is too short to go through this misery! By the way I have had the flu shot!
My question is which is worse, suffering ongoing sinus and bronchial problems and getting no comforting restful sleep or keep being tortured by a hard hearted Dr. and this darned machine?
Tags: Flu, c pap
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Check the tubing and filters of the CPAP machine at regular intervals, as it can harbor allergens/infections. This could be triggering your symptoms. Also, choose a mask which is most comfortable for you. Occasionally when you have breathing problems and are uncomfortable with the CPAP, you can avoid using it. On these occasions try to sleep sideways and if any nasal blocks try to keep them patent with OTC nasal decongestants.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for the reply. My normal way to sleep is on the stomach or left side
I never sleep on my back. I was on my back during heart by-pass surgery when they found the apnea episodes. I have 14 episodes an hour one point under moderate, I feel I don't really need the c-pap, I now have to sleep on back for comfort for my face,I spend most of the night trying to get comfortable on my stomach but can't! I hate the whole mess, I also think I may have a latex allergy due to the painful welds that came under the circular patches I had to wear at one time. Sorry I'm a pitiful mess!
Rhea
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament mam. Masks can give a claustrophobic feeling to certain individuals. There are also nasal masks. You could start by trying them for very short periods and then increase the timing as you get more comfortable. Alternatively, you could try BiPAP, which is a bi level pressure device, which regulates according to inspiration and expiration, and hence is more comfortable. So, don't worry and discuss these options with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.