Respiratory Disorders Community
Fluid in lungs every morning with first breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Every morning for the last 5 months or so, when I take my first breath it feels as though I have fluid deep in my lungs. With one deep breath or a couple of normal breaths this feeling is gone but it repeats its self every morning with out fail. Does anyone have any theories why? I have never had asthma or alegies causing lung problems.

I am concerned further due to my self being a heating engineer, I know in the past I have come into contact with asbestos. I am just hoping my sympoms have nothing to do with this. I am 25 and I have been working in the heating industry for only 8 years so from what I have read it seems unlikely that any symptoms would show at this stage. I experienced an unfortunate incident with asbestos about 6 months ago, I unknowingly dismantled a boiler containing asbestos, then vacuumed up the remaining debris, then by a freak accident which still drives me crazy to think about, the vacuum bag split and pumped the contents into the room i was working in. I know this sounds exteam but the amount of the material would not have been 'much'. I have been really worried every day since then and I also wonder if this worry alone is causing these daily morning symptoms??

If any one has experienced similar symptoms or could share some information about my problem then I'd really appreciate it.
Tags: asbestos, Every morning, Fluid in lungs, Lung, breath, worry
I have this EXACT same symptom.  First breath almost feels like breathing through cobwebs or spiderwebs or a sponge (to me- difficult to describe the sensation), but by the 2nd or 3rd, everything is basically normal again.  I also notice this if I wake in the middle of the night after being asleep for some time, and take a deep breath.

Occasionally it will subside for a few days to a couple of weeks, but returns again for several months.

I too have never had asthma or allergies.  I have had pneumonia a couple of times, but not anytime near when this began occurring.  

Lastly, I have had some exposure to household asbestos when a "popcorn" ceiling was removed.  My exposure would have been minimal, but it's interesting we have this in common.  

Would be very interested if anyone has any info, or similar experience, and anything that has helped
dosteadie here again-  I forgot to mention that I did have a chest x-ray before my previous post, which showed my lungs were "hyperexpanded" or a term similar to that- apparently something that happens to ppl with COPD.  I also had a PFT Pulmonary Function Test, which the technician seemed to think I wasn't trying hard enough on because my results/numbers weren't in the normal range, and didn't improve much after administering albuterol.  (I look very healthy, so I think my appearance was somehow incongruent with her expectations).  The results were sent to a "lung doctor" (who exactly, I don't know) and it was relayed to my primary physician that I was fine.   I'm not sure how exactly that was determined, as my results were below normal (you can see the printout/results as soon as you finish the test- they are right in front of you, and the tech explained them to me, to show me where I should be "hitting").  I'm considering scheduling an appointment with a pulmonary doctor to try to get to the bottom of this.  As you can see from my posting date, this has been going on for well over a year.

Lastly, I also saw an allergist for the first time (have never really had allergies), and my initial "pricking-test" came back as not allergic to anything, my "arm-test" (more concentrated material injected under the skin) came back as very lightly allergic to some sort of tree, and slightly more so to mold spores.  So those results basically ruled out this breathing issue being related to sudden-onset allergies.

I wish you luck, and would be most interested to hear from anyone with similar experience. I saw on another board someone posted this as "raspy breath in lungs first thing in the morning".
This breathing technique will expel the toxins from your lungs and improve your lung function. You will also notice other benefits, which you will tell me after you have followed the technique for a few weeks.You have described your condition very well, and it will help others.
Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating)
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
November 14 ,2011
Hey man, I'm experiencing the same thing for over a year now and I have no idea what it is.  Did the allergist thing and went on two courses of meds to kick it to no avail.  Do you have anymore info on your condition?  I'm concerned but not too concerned as it's only on the first breath or two.  I noticed that if I slouch in the couch for awhile, it happens too.  I am super fit, have an perfect diet and am generally very healthy.  Weird stuff.
I have the same exact thing! My chest x rays always come back normal and they even did a lung catscan that came back normal...This started about a year after I had pneumonia. I'm only in my late 20s. My pulmonologist suggested the lungs could be a little damaged from the pneumonia but didn't seem to take the "stuff in my lungs for the first breath every morning" too seriously. Still, it really concerns me.
Hi, Just an update- This still happens to me frequently. Maybe even more frequently.  I have had no further tests.  I do find it happens just when I'm resting sometimes, much like eggy4200, randomly through the day.  Only when I'm very still and most always in the prone position.  I should mention I am and always have been a non-smoker.  As I stated a few years ago, this will occur for months at a time, then stop for weeks or a couple of months, then occur again.  No history of lung disease in my family.  Parents were smokers.  No food allergies.....   wish I could figure it out.  Has anyone noticed if it lessens/goes away with more frequent exercise or deep breathing exercises?   Any additional info and input is appreciated. Maybe eventually someone here will be able to find out what causes this....
I have been googling this as well, since I have started noticing the same symptoms. After sleeping at night I feel fluid in my lungs that clears with the first couple of breaths. I consider myself in shape (5'11" 175lbs weight lift 3-4 times a week aero 2-3 times a week) and I have never smoked. I do not have a job that I am exposed to any sort of chemicals or other irritants in the air (I am a programmer). Seeing COPD and CHF as problems that could manifest with this symptom does not give me a warm fuzzy. I will be scheduling with my doctor a check up in order to attempt to get to the bottom of this. Should I find out anything, I will let you know.
I have had a similar feeling.  Has anyone gotten anywhere with this?  Mine has happened every day for four years.  It's really only if I lay on my back though.  Mine is in the middle of my back and it occurs at the end of my inhale...not every inhale but usually just the first one.  Where are you all feeling it?  
Mine started when I actually got sick from bronchitis.  I've had it a few times in my life and a pretty ugly case of pneumonia in my 20s.  Like I said, I had gotten a chest cold and the first breath of the day thing just never went away after that.  Working out helps for sure.  But it doesn't go away.  Then I get anxious and wonder if that's it from what I'm reading.   I finally got insurance wit a job so I'm gonna go run in to the same dead ends you all have.  I did talk with a dr and get a chest x a couple years ago and a spirometer test.  All normal... Concerning, unnerving.  My nose seems to be partially plugged very often as well.  90 percent of the time if say.
I also find drinking is irritating to this
I have the same problem in 23 years old and have been signed off work for the past 3 years due to my anxiety and depression, every morning for maybe a year now i have breathed and feel as if i have fluid in my lungs and its freezing its the only way i can discribe it, its hurriable as you all proberly know. I havnt been to the doctor though as i am going for other things and don't want to bombard them with problems but this is persisting, i looked online hoping somehow i will find the answer so please if anyone finds any i will be checking this regularly, i am a heavy smoker though of canabis and also cigarettes so don't no if its due to this but by reading this someof you don't even smoke so now in more confused as to why this is happening. Ahhh lol