Following up w/ an immunologist
I wanted to respond to many of you suffering from chronic sinus infections. I have had a history, beginning as a child of ear, nose, and throat infections. As a child it seemed to be recurrent ear infections, as a teenager the infections were mainly in my throat, and as an adult in my sinuses. After seeking treatment w/ my PCP and being on one antibiotic after another, I was referred to an ENT. He placed me on Xzal, nasonex, and sinus rinses to see if it helped. The improvement was mild. He suggested I follow-up w/ an allergist. The fist one I went to did not do a complete allergy test and only advised I had mild allergiest to dust/mold/pollen. I returned to the ENT to have a deviated septum corrected and the whole nine yards. I continued to get infections, my PCP referred my to another allergist/immunologist and recommended a bunch of blood work. Most of it was normal but I had sky high IgE levels? So he did an indepth allergy profile. I was allergic to wheat, chocolate, tomatoes, broccoli, beef, cashews, green beans, lima beans, pine trees, grass, dust, and mold. I began allergy shots and they have helped. I am still getting sick. It's not natural for a person to be on so many antibiotics throughout their life...the immunologist is worried that I will get a bacteria resistent to the antibiotics or immune system will become so supressed I will need to either be on antibiotics long-term or explore alternative treatments. For now I take a priobiotic every time I take an antibiotic, to alleviate killing off all of the good bacteria. I take a nasal steroid and an oral steroid, and rotate the types of antiobiotics. Also, make sure your dr. takes a sputum sample. It doesn't do any good to take an antibiotic that the bacteria is resistent to.

Hope this helps. It's frustrating and I'm tired a lot. But I've finally found a dr. to try an solve the problem and not treat the symptoms.

This discussion is related to Chronic sinus infection recurred post-op.
With all your sinus problems did you ever become hoarse?? - Twice a year I did around allergy prime time - but recently after come home from hospital with double pneumonia - my lungs are fine now - pneumonia cleared up - but I sound like a frog sometimes - unless I keep on lozenges and warm drinks