Food in Lungs
My couisin is 82.  Hea has had several strokes.  He uses a wheel chair.  He was a smoaker and drinker.
The problem is that he gets food in his lungs that makes him caugh up mucus.  The dr. want to put in a feeding tube which he doesn't want.  The Dr. said the mucus is caused from Food in his Lungs.  What else can be done to help him swallow his food and not have it go into his lungs?
I'm not certain what to do about that, but I agree with your doctor that getting foreign material into the lungs will set up the right conditions for lung infections, such a pneumonia, Maybe you could try making his food soft or blended, so it is easier to coordinate chewing and swallowing? Depends I guess what he chokes on. If it is every consistency of food, then perhaps a feeding tube is best. All the best in this situation.