Respiratory Disorders Community
Frequent clearing of Phlegm in a child/teenager

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

My son just turned 13 and has heard this ENT problem since he was born but symptoms were manifested when he was like 5. He frequently has an urge to clear and spit out phlegm on a regular basis. Some days are worse than the others; at the worst spectrum he'd probably go to the bathroom to spit out phlegm like 15 times in a day. The spitting sometimes during allergy season could lead to violent cough and retching.

We have visited doctors quite a few times to complain about his situation. More often he would be given allergy drugs (which usually never solve the problem), and some of the doctors would assure us that his condition would be outgrown with time. So far, no joy. The last doctor we saw last year, after preliminary investigation on X-ray, suspected that he is breathing at 50% of his respiratory organ capacity due to the narrowness of his nasal passage and that my son may require surgery. The doctor also suspected that this may have impaired his physical growth. My son is though 13, he looks more like most 8 year olds. We have not been able to follow up due to travel demands.

Before I go back to the doctor or another ENT, I need a second opinion. Glad if someone can point me in the right direction.